topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... desktop/mobile calendar/task list/appointments app  (Read 6023 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Been trying to find a reasonable calendar program that
  • runs on (Windows) desktop
  • runs on tablet (Android, for now)
  • runs on smartphone (Android, for now)
but not having much luck.  I'd like to be able to show appointments, tasks, schedules, and the like.  Most of 'em would be entered on the desktop/laptop, but there'd be times when the only entry point available would be a tablet or the phone, so multiple synchronization would be a must.

I'm averse to cloud-based solutions  :mad:, so Google Calendar or the like is out  :P.  Ideally, input would be allowed from any platform and shared with all other platforms.  Right now, that would include a B&N Color Nook, a Toshiba Thrive, a Nexus 7, a Samsung Galaxy SIII, and various Windows 7machines.  That hardware might change - I'm considering a Win8 tablet if I can stomach Win8 and if the price can be justified.  Ditto, Win8 phone.  Prolly won't use a *nix-based system, as those are mostly play/experiment systems for me, not long-term work systems.  (Not trying to start anything - *nix distros just don't fit into my professional* usages  :P.)

[sidebar]
Why not cloud?  Just today there was a piece of mail from the Republican National Committee (on the back flap) with a (front) return address of Mitt Romney.  It was addresses to Databarn Databarn.  (databarn is an alias I've used off and on when subscribing to various online elements.)  That name, along with my correct address, was hijacked from some Web site - it's never been used for shipping.  And I've never, knowingly at least, subscribed to any political entity.  (At one (1) point I did have a Web site published under that name - a decade ago!)  That's just one (1) reason I don't use cloud services, no matter how convenient.  There simply is no security that cannot be broken (as I learned when I spent a few years in cryptography).
[/sidebar]

*Professional, at bottom, means you get paid for it.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps Tim's thread here will give you some ideas?

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=30298.0

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps Tim's thread here will give you some ideas?

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=30298.0

Oops, sorry ... should have mentioned that I'd read it, but it's not what I'm seeking.  Nothing wrong with server-based, but not always near a/the server.  Sync needs to be Wi-Fi direct or maybe Bluetooth ... 4G might work in a pinch, but not all devices have provider connectivity - and I wouldn't want to pay for connectivity for each one (1)  :'( :P.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Remember the Milk?

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Definitely check out Pimlical  http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/
The only thing I don't like is that it's Java-based, and I'm not a big Java fan....

I do use the desktop version of Pimlical though.  (it syncs to my old school Palm)

There is an android version too.  Pretty cheap, and all the $$ goes to wildlife conservation. 

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not overly fond of Java ... too many disappointments, too many hacks ... but I'll give Pimlical a try - the published feature set fits mostly with what I'd like to have.  Need to check for licensing issues, though, or it could get expensive  :P.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I always though it meant you charged for it. Actually getting paid, in my experience, is a whole separate issue. :P

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another option might be EssentialPIM.

The Windows Pro edition is licensed per computer, but there is a free version that is probably good enough to see if you like the way it works.  The Pro edition also provides a fully functional portable version. There are free apps for both Android and iOS.

On Android devices, EPIM uses its own tasks, notes and password modules and the built-in (Google) calendar and contacts, but you can synchronize those directly if you prefer not to use Google.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Just an FYI. When I evaluated Essential PIM a few months ago I had it lose information that had been previously entered and saved to the calendar. Don't know if this was an anomaly or something specific to the machine I was running it on. But it spooked me enough that I removed it from further consideration after that happened. Which was a shame. It looked to be a very capable PIM. YMMV.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I always though it meant you charged for it. Actually getting paid, in my experience, is a whole separate issue. :P

Nope, misconception on your part  :P :-* :P:  you're still an amateur when you bill/charge - you're only a professional iff you get paid  :P :P :P

The Windows Pro edition is licensed per computer, but there is a free version that is probably good enough to see if you like the way it works.  The Pro edition also provides a fully functional portable version. There are free apps for both Android and iOS.

On Android devices, EPIM uses its own tasks, notes and password modules and the built-in (Google) calendar and contacts, but you can synchronize those directly if you prefer not to use Google.

That's a right cogent thought.  I have EPIM Pro Win & Android.  I might have had the answer on my own HDD and not known it.  Never played with the calendar aspect of EPIM, so looks as though I'm gonna be busy  :-\ :P

Edit:

Just an FYI. When I evaluated Essential PIM a few months ago I had it lose information that had been previously entered and saved to the calendar. Don't know if this was an anomaly or something specific to the machine I was running it on. But it spooked me enough that I removed it from further consideration after that happened. Which was a shame. It looked to be a very capable PIM. YMMV.

Will definitely keep an eye out for that!  Thanks  :Thmbsup:!

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... desktop/mobile calendar/task list/appointments app
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 09:16 AM »

I dumped Outlook (which I used only for calendar, contacts and tasks) about 6 months ago and have been using EPIM exclusively on my Windows PCs since then without ever having any data loss, although I did mess up a few entries at first while learning how to adapt the features to the way I work.  EPIM is extremely customizable, but the way options are selected and applied  is not always intuitive, at least to me.  EPIM can be set to make automatic backups with location, timing and number of versions saved all user selectable.

I had been looking for a PIM to replace Outlook since moving to Android from Palm several years ago, and had tried many (including Pimlical). Essential PIM was the first one I found that I felt I could live with.

Note: I use the portable Pro version and do not use the Windows defaults for either program or data locations.

The ability to run in portable mode and to specify my own data locations is one of the most important considerations I have in choosing many kinds of programs. 

I have an Apps folder under which I install programs that allow for a portable usage mode (and certain others). I also have a Data folder under which I keep all my critical data folders. This allows me to easily replicate my data on another computer  for backup or for when I travel. It also allows me to update many programs without having to run Setup, and to transfer them between systems, along with their settings.