topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Is Moffsoft alive?  (Read 16777 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is Moffsoft alive?
« on: April 12, 2006, 07:52 PM »
I'm looking for a calculator and used The Great Software list as a guide, which told me that Moffsoft Calculator is great. By looking at the screenshot and reading the description, I found that it was the best fit for me. I went to the website and then found out that the software was last updated in 2004. This leads me to assume that development on it has died, and I don't need to tell anybody here what my stance is on "dead" software. It can be as good as it wants, if it is not being actively developed, my interest drops DRASTICALLY. Any comments?

http://www.moffsoft.com/downloads.htm

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is Moffsoft alive?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:59 PM »
Some weeks ago, mouser posted something about a great calculator. Maybe you could try that one instead ;)
Or, if you're a farr user, try Farr's Calculator :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 08:02 PM »

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 08:05 PM »
While I love FARR, I love it as a launcher. It works extremely well that way, and that's what I use it for exclusively as of now. I have not really considered using it in other ways, though I am sure there are plenty of ways in which FARR can be used other than as a launcher, I like it this way now. I like having the best tool for the job in all categories :). The idea of building additional things into FARR myself goes against that philosophy in that it is absolutely certain that if I try to use FARR as a calculator, I will have FAR from the best tool from the job. Sure, I would have a working calculator that would work just like Google works as a calculator.. but that's far too basic and brings with it none of the benefits of a dedicated calculator app. So, thanks for the suggestion :)

I'm curious to hear about the good free one you mentioned.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 08:06 PM »
How about http://www.nonags.com/nonags/calcs.html
-Carol Haynes (April 12, 2006, 08:02 PM)
Now that's what I call a list. Damn! Thanks :)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 08:15 PM »
How about http://www.nonags.com/nonags/calcs.html
-Carol Haynes (April 12, 2006, 08:02 PM)
Now that's what I call a list. Damn! Thanks :)
And I'm through the list already. By far most of them are even older than Moffsoft in terms of updates... now I understand an application can be so stable and mature that there simply is no need to update it often, and that's fine. But nothing is PERFECT. It may just be me.. but I simply refuse to use software that is based on code that is by now over five years old, such as the oldest listed programs on NoNags. I've been bitching for quite a while about Trillian as well.. which has not been updated in over a year now, yet needs updates dearly.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Moffsoft Calculator. It's an excellent solution, but I would like to know if it is still being developed.. and that's hard to imagine given that there has not been an update since 2004. So where's mouser with that great free calculator he found? :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 08:23 PM »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 03:37 AM »
moerl, don't get too distressed over what seems like abandonment by a developer. While it's not a good sign with ever-changing software, such as internet apps, it's not uncommon for a utility app like a calculator, registry cleaner, conversion software, image resizer, and so on will be built and then left alone at a stable version. In Moffsoft's case, they've done everything they intend to do with it. My absolute favorite was QuickCalc, which was abandoned soon after it was released. QuickCalc calculated as you typed, so that you can see your result as it was typed without even having to hit the Enter key. It has the bad habit of not remembering its last position, but no one has been able to replicate its sheer ease of use.

Download the last working copy here: QuickCalc.zip (287k)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:41 AM by zridling »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 03:43 AM »
moerl, don't get too distressed over what seems like abandonment by a developer. While it's not a good sign with ever-changing software, such as internet apps, it's not uncommon for a utility app like a calculator, registry cleaner, conversion software, image resizer, and so on will be built and then left alone at a stable version. In Moffsoft's case, they've done everything they intend to do with it.

I think I agree with that - there must come a point with Calculator software that it does its thing and there is not much worth adding.

If you can't find an ultimate calculator out there then you could use a spreadsheet which will let you calculate pretty much what you like and write macros to automate stuff.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 02:11 AM »
I do like the idea of being able to just type in whole strings for calculation without being limited to the software calculator behaving like a hardware calculator in clearing the display each time an operation button is pressed... one of the calcs on the Great Software List behaves that way, I believe. I'll have to see. I don't have any very specific or special needs... it's just the obsession of using the perfect tool for the job :)

Also, I just dislike using software that has not been updated in a long time or for which development may even have seized. In very rare cases I make an exception, (Trillian), but usually that's how I think about it. I guess it's true that with calculator software, you reach a point where you've made it perfectly stable and there is nothing more to add.. but then nothing is perfect. No updates in over two YEARS is a bit scary, no matter how stable and reliable an application.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 05:06 AM »
It may just be me.. but I simply refuse to use software that is based on code that is by now over five years old

I can almost guarantee that the OS you're using runs on code that is much older than five years.  Ever think about that?  =]

noth(a)nk.you

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • More than meets the eye.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 06:30 AM »
[...] there must come a point with Calculator software that it does its thing and there is not much worth adding.
-Carol Haynes (April 13, 2006, 03:43 AM)

I agree with this.

My anecdotal evidence: I bought my TI-89 calculator almost seven years ago and, while there's not much new to its software, I still find uses for it almost every day.

Another example: I use Microsoft Calculator quite often (loads fast, has several functions), but the latest copyright date is 2001.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 07:57 AM »
Actually Microsoft do a decent free calculator replacement which includes things like units conversion functions, scientific functions etc. and different skins. I can't remember where I got it from but you can probably find it in the MS Windows XP downloads page.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Just found it at http://www.microsoft...oys/xppowertoys.mspx here is the download link http://download.micr...alcPowertoySetup.exe

Here's what it says:

Power Calculator

With this PowerToy you can graph and evaluate functions as well as perform many different types of conversions.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 07:57 PM »
It may just be me.. but I simply refuse to use software that is based on code that is by now over five years old

I can almost guarantee that the OS you're using runs on code that is much older than five years.  Ever think about that?  =]
I didn't think about it, but my reply is this: my OS was updated three days ago :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 04:28 AM »
LOL - only to patch problems that have existed for many years ... some of your OS will date back over 20 years!

noth(a)nk.you

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • More than meets the eye.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 03:18 PM »
MS PowerToy Calc looks better than MS Calculator for more in-depth calculations--I'm especially digging the option for Extreme Precision (512 digits).

For just converting units I still like (and urge you to check out) Josh Madison's Convert.  It's very light and intuitive.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 03:29 PM »
LOL - only to patch problems that have existed for many years ... some of your OS will date back over 20 years!
-Carol Haynes (April 15, 2006, 04:28 AM)
Of course. But who says the things usually patched in software are only those related to code most recently added to the application?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Hey, are you people saying that old = not good? Because me and Sean Connery will gird up our loins and tangle with you!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 06:23 PM »
I meant to say that new isn't always better, but with technology it often is. For example, given the way cars are built, I'd take a 2006 Volvo over '67 Ford Mustang any day. (The Mustang doesn't have a built-in calculator on the back side of the window visor.)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I meant to say that new isn't always better, but with technology it often is. For example, given the way cars are built, I'd take a 2006 Volvo over '67 Ford Mustang any day. (The Mustang doesn't have a built-in calculator on the back side of the window visor.)
WTF? Sweet! Link? :p

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 09:17 PM »
i'd like to add another calculator app to the equation. ;)
Microsoft Calculator Plus

Calculator Plus offers conversions between different measurement units for area, temperature, volume and more. It also includes all the mathematical functions offered in Microsoft Calculator.
it can also handle currency conversion for which you'd need online connection plus some rudimentary skin-support :huh: and here is the FAQ·

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 04:52 AM »
Calculator Plus offers conversions between different measurement units for area, temperature, volume and more. It also includes all the mathematical functions offered in Microsoft Calculator.
it can also handle currency conversion for which you'd need online connection plus some rudimentary skin-support :huh: and here is the FAQ·

Sorry already posted this one - you'll have to be quicker than that ;) (look up a couple of my posts back)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 07:58 PM »
for a moment, i thought you had me there carol... ;)
but you mentioned Calculator Plus but actually posted the link to Power Calculator of PowerToys...
there are two calculator apps put out by Microsoft and both of it are mentioned here and here.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7251/109579740317ag.png
Is Moffsoft alive?

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7960/part948ym.png
Is Moffsoft alive?

Free Image Hosting by ImageShack

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 08:23 PM »
I found the Microsoft PowerToy Calculator long ago and I couldn't be happier with a calculator for the computer. It knows order of operations! I was taking a placement test at a local college and kept getting different answers to the same math questions because the calculator didn't know order of operations. It was a little upsetting.

But to NoThankYou, I've found TI calculator emulators from the TI company itself. I think I had the same version as you in high school and now I also have it on my computer.