ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The pleasure and possibilities of living a time-shifted life?

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
I time-shift my bills, but I actually do it forward.  And then I time-shift my pay back.  I'm currently up to paying my next month's bills at the very least with my prior month's paycheck.  It sounds crazy to do... but I have software that actually lets me (and encourages me) to do so.  Of course, it drives some of my bill people crazy, because their systems aren't set up to keep track of someone who is ahead... I wonder why...  :-\

But it's incredibly freeing.  I don't pay bills on the date when they say I should... I pay them at the time of month when it best fits my schedule.  And I always have leeway if something unexpected comes up.  Some might say that's just savings... but my savings is totally separate.  The paychecks that I have set aside untouched haven't been allocated at all.  Quite hard to effectively explain... but it works.

mouser:
I've seriously considered timeshifting my consumption of news.. Trying to make sense of the news of real-world events is incredibly inefficient, and so little of it has any immediate impact.  It seems like it would be so much more manageable and relaxing to read newspapers and watch news shows on a 1yr delay.

Renegade:
I time-shift my bills, but I actually do it forward.  And then I time-shift my pay back.  I'm currently up to paying my next month's bills at the very least with my prior month's paycheck.  It sounds crazy to do... but I have software that actually lets me (and encourages me) to do so.  Of course, it drives some of my bill people crazy, because their systems aren't set up to keep track of someone who is ahead... I wonder why...  :-\

But it's incredibly freeing.  I don't pay bills on the date when they say I should... I pay them at the time of month when it best fits my schedule.  And I always have leeway if something unexpected comes up.  Some might say that's just savings... but my savings is totally separate.  The paychecks that I have set aside untouched haven't been allocated at all.  Quite hard to effectively explain... but it works.
-wraith808 (August 07, 2012, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a good plan!

The amount I make is pretty much unpredictable. Sometimes I'll make as much in a few days as in some months. And I'm always getting paid a couple months after the work, so... Not something that I could really manage to do myself unless I were to time-shift bill payments by making them late. :P

I've seriously considered timeshifting my consumption of news.. Trying to make sense of the news of real-world events is incredibly inefficient, and so little of it has any immediate impact.  It seems like it would be so much more manageable and relaxing to read newspapers and watch news shows on a 1yr delay.
-mouser (August 07, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just as long as you don't try that with the weather news. ;D

wraith808:
The amount I make is pretty much unpredictable. Sometimes I'll make as much in a few days as in some months. And I'm always getting paid a couple months after the work, so... Not something that I could really manage to do myself unless I were to time-shift bill payments by making them late. :P
-Renegade (August 07, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually when I started to do it- when I used to contract.  You have to do it a bit at a time, and it takes real discipline.  I remember the first time I actually saw the problem- the company told me when I started that I would invoice 30 days after starting, then get paid 30 days after that at the most.  So I had 90 days saved up to pay each month as it came.  What wasn't accounted for was the time it would take me to get into their system as a vendor - it was a multi-national company, so one vendor they weren't going to go out of the way for, no matter how key I was to this project.  120 days later, I was paid. 

A full 4 months... but I received all of the payments for the 4 months at once.  I wasn't so far off in my projections- it hurt, but it wasn't so bad.  So I put money aside, and I paid an extra month on a few of my bills.  Each month, I did that, taking it out of my discretionary money, and by the time a year had passed, I was very near ideal. 

I don't think that most people could do it all at once... but a little at a time with discipline and it works.

Which reminds me of the other big thing to time-shift... vehicles.  I never buy new vehicles, but always get them 1 or 2 years old at the minimum.  I've also been trying to stretch the life of my vehicles so I can put the payments towards the down payment on the next vehicle.  Hopefully, one day, I'll be paying cash for vehicles instead of financing them :)

40hz:
-mouser (August 07, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just as long as you don't try that with the weather news. ;D
-Renegade (August 07, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

About the only thing I think I really need in real time is an air raid alert.

But not so much to take cover. More like to give me enough time to grab a bottle of Scotch, go drive to the nearest Ground Zero point, and offer up a final toast. (I would so not want to be a survivor following a nuclear attack.)
 ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version