ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Olympic coverage this year SUCKS!

<< < (2/10) > >>

wraith808:
Lifehacker's guide to overcoming nbcfail

And I don't feel bad at all about doing it...

superboyac:
I'm boycotting the Olympics this year. I've had enough of the nonsense surrounding who gets to watch what, where, and when. To Aram's earlier comment, I too remember when the Olympics just used to be "on" before Los Angeles decided to go all out and blatantly make a huge buck off the games. Their historic success has since inspired far too many wannabe host countries to try to do the same.

Add in the embargoes on news coverage, score reporting, and even certain words already found in English dictionaries, and I've had my fill.

I wish the athletes the best of success, and hope their Olympic experience lives up to their expectations. They deserve it for the amount of time and personal effort they bring to the games. And I also personally hope London and all future hosts (the US included) merely break even  going forward - and fervently hope that NBC and all the other media vultures lose their shirts. That's the only way the Olympic Committee will ever get the message - when they can no longer play the ignorant, the egotistical, and the fools off against each other in order to line their own already bulging coffers.
-40hz (August 05, 2012, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
I was here in LA during that Olympics.  My Dad took me to the events, cool father-son time.  But the marketing was sooooo much.  You couldn't turn anywhere without seeing that weird eagle/owl mascot thing.  At the time, I thought it was cool since I was a kid and liked cartoons.  But looking back, I hate the fact that I remember that stupid bird more than the events.

superboyac:
Hmm, when I watched Wimbledon this year I thought if the Brits were ever gonna' get a champion, it would be in 2012 since they shelled out billions to host the Olympics and spent a lot in the last few years putting a roof on Center Court etc.. Murray got to the final, but lost to Darth Federer.  But it seems like my theory was only 1/2 wrong. Murray beat Roger to get the Gold. Now maybe he has the monkey off his back.

-MilesAhead (August 05, 2012, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dude, I have soooo many questions and suspicions about tennis.  Too many people are conveniently winning at just the right time to maximize profitability.  i don't know, i don't have any evidence for anything, but the last couple of years have been far too convenient in tennis.  All the steroid use stuff is completely ignored by the media, but at least this blog keeps them in check with its tiny viewership:
http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com/

Seems like weird stuff started happening once people got bored of Federer a few years ago.  Guys like Djokovic and Nadal beat him with ease over the years, and then went on to consistently lose in insignificant matches to insignificant opponents, in embarrassing fashion.  Injury reports are all vague, suspicious, and also always conveniently timed.

Federer won a lot, everyone got bored because of no competition.
Then Nadal started showing life, and everyone wanted that to become a rivalry.  Then it did.  Then Nadal rode some hype to a suspiciously incredible season.  Then he just sucked all of a sudden and Djokovic had a suspiciously incredible season.  Then, people remembered how beautiful Federer's game was, and started comparing Djokovic/Nadal to his, and calling it brute strength victories with just hard, conservative (i.e. boring) rallies.  Then Andy Murray was in the mix, but could never beat Federer.  Then he does in the Olympics.  Serena has been surrounded by controversy, none of which is investigated seriously at all by the media.  How do you cut yourself in a restaurant under both your feet??  I'm still waiting for a remotely reasonable explanation on that one.

But welcome to the information age everyone.  Where we find out that all these things that we thought were so clean and kosher, are in fact riddled and dominated by manipulation.  Part of growing up I guess.

barney:
Man, i remember growing up in the 80s and just seeing the Olympics 24/7 on the TV...any TV, anyone's house.  Now we have more technology, more channels, more people, more events, more TV's, more everything!!
-superboyac (August 05, 2012, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
You left out, "...more networks...," as opposed to one (1) proprietary outfit that won't allow anyone else to broadcast.  But, in fairness (?!?  :-\), that's the Olympic committee, the same fold that shut down anyone online trying to promote their cause under the guise of patent and copyright.  I remember seeing the Olympics on all three (3) major channels (after there were three (3) channels  :P) ... but it's a very dim childhood memory  :(.  But, then, TV happened after I was born, so they hadn't quite figured out all the revenue paths when I first saw the event(s)  :P.

Renegade:
I'm boycotting the Olympics this year.
-40hz (August 05, 2012, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D Yay~! More people need to boycott the Olympics.

I haven't watched the Olympics since the 80's. It was complete corporate whoredom then, and it has since slid down the ranks to corporate-crack-whoredom. The level of "control" this year is more sickening than ever.

On top of that, I've always had this icky, dirty feeling about the Olympics. Something has always seemed "off", in an H. P. Lovecraft sense of the word... I suppose the Olympics is just showing its true colors more than ever now. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version