topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Apple's Marketing Mindset  (Read 9970 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apple's Marketing Mindset
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Apple's Biggest Marketing Secret Was Revealed In Federal Court

The title is a bit sensational- more like their marketing mindset was revealed.

Apple no longer actually needs to do ANY advertising when it launches new products, marketing chief Phil Schiller testified Friday in the Apple v. Samsung patent trial in a San Jose, Calif., federal court.
Instead, the company relies on these two strategies:
  • Rely on the media to create buzz for its products through positive reviews.
  • Product placement in TV shows and movies.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple's Marketing Mindset
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Apple understands propaganda much better than any of their competition. Read up on it. What you think propaganda is, probably is outdated by around 100 years give or take a few decades. Apple has brilliant marketers propagandists.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:43 AM »
However, MS is catching on. Watch the TV show NCIS...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:26 PM »
And CSI Miami

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Apple = "Last week's technology, nicely packaged, and available today -  at tomorrow's prices." :P

Microsoft = "Trust us. We're much cheaper. And we'll get it right no later than the third try." :-\

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Apple = "Last week's technology, nicely packaged, and available today -  at tomorrow's prices." :P

Microsoft = "Trust us. We're much cheaper. And we'll get it right no later than the third try." :-\

LOL

Actually I think there is a much simpler mind set:

Apple - give us your money, next year give it again, continue ad nauseam

MS - whatever works for Apple ...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Actually I think there is a much simpler mind set:

Once again Carol nails it! ;D

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:39 PM »
See through a list of problems. Solve only one.  :D  Take instagram photos of product while drinking coffee in starbucks. Let it go viral. Done. Monies.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:59 PM »
And lets not forget this wonderful moment when Steve Sinofsky himself attempts to bluff and 'handwave' his way through a demo where his nifty Surface tablet keeps locking up.

Shades of Grouch0 Marx's classic line: "I'm talking fast folks - so please - keep up with me!"

Did Sinofsky really think nobody actually noticed?  ;D

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:05 PM by 40hz »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:42 AM »
"It's 10.6 inch" oh shit oh shit oh shit "... and of course people play games" GULLLLP!  ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 02:13 AM »
"It's 10.6 inch" oh shit oh shit oh shit "... and of course people play games" GULLLLP!  ;D

It couldn't have been much worse. Just as he says "smoothly"... everything goes to pot. Poor guy. :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 06:47 AM »
One thing I can say about Apple.

When dealing with most females: Show them something Windows related and they watch. Show them something Linux related and they'll sometimes become intrigued. But show them almost anything Apple related and their faces light up like it's Christmas morning.

Ok...a few more things:

1) Women are NOT stupid.

2) There are more women than men on this planet.

3) Most women will live significantly longer than most men.

4) And the population ratio of women to men is steadily increasing.

So...maybe Apple really is onto something - regardless of what their mindset may be. Or at least much more than Microsoft seems to be with that "don't try to fight it - you WILL do this" approach they're taking with their Windows 8 campaign.

Food for thought, I'm thinking - as I find myself keying this in on my iPhone. (*choke*)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:55 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:05 AM »
^ you sound like a man that's looking for trouble :D

so,
Apple brings out the women in men ...  or something
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19 AM »
^ you sound like a man that's looking for trouble :D

Never had to look for it a day in my entire life. Trouble finds mequite easily. And whenever it wants to. ;D :Thmbsup:

so,
Apple brings out the women in men ...  or something

Well..I guess they have to work with what's available. With all due respect, have you ever found much "man" to bring out in the average Apple fanboy ? (kidding, just kidding...:P

Ok. Maybe I am looking for trouble.
Hipster1.jpg   Hipster2.jpg

Hipster3.jpg

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:40 AM »
But show them almost anything Apple related and their faces light up like it's Christmas morning.

Not this one ...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 11:54 AM »
With all due respect, have you ever found much "man" to bring out in the average Apple fanboy ?

In an attempt to design an unscientific test I did a quick Google image search for Apple Manly ... It found nothing. I can only conclude by this that much as implied above ... There is no manliness in Apple products.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55 AM »
But show them almost anything Apple related and their faces light up like it's Christmas morning.

Not this one ...

Yes. But you're unique and marvelous. And we cherish you for being that way.  ;D :Thmbsup:

(Maybe I should have qualified that a little better and said American women?  ;))

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:31 PM »
 ;D
Sinofsky looks like such an asshole in that clip, man.
Why do these people talk as if everyone is so stupid?  I don't get this.  Are we that stupid?  Or do people think we're this stupid?  Or do corporations think we're this stupid?  Or are the corporations stupid and they assume we all are as stupid?  It seems like corporations think they are super smart, and the people are super dumb...when really the corporations are kind of smart and somehow have forced everyone who is smart to play dumb.  That's what it feels like to me.  We can't be this dumb.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Yes. But you're unique and marvelous. And we cherish you for being that way.  ;D :Thmbsup:

(Maybe I should have qualified that a little better and said American women?  ;))

LOL - how do you know I am not a Yank living in the UK? Actually all the American women I have ever met are too bright to fall for the 'oo its shiny' approach - now some of my English friends .... (no names ....)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 03:44 PM »
^@C : LOL- Whatever you may or may not be, you will never be mistaken for a Yank. Trust me on that score.  ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 05:13 PM »
No, I think the women theory doesnt work. (It would be interesting to know proportions of male to female owners of apple products - maybe that could back it up.)

As to the lack of manliness of Apple males,  I cannot comment, not having one :p and, living in the sticks, I dont see that many Apple males - or females ;-)
Tom

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 07:13 PM »
There are more women than men on this planet.

Forget apple. Reading this makes me feel like there is some hope for this planet.  :D

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 07:45 PM »
There are more women than men on this planet.

Forget apple. Reading this makes me feel like there is some hope for this planet.  :D

You'd think - just a shame a large proportion of them have absolutely no say in anything - even how to dress!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 12:59 AM »
...a large proportion of them have absolutely no say in anything - even how to dress!
Well, if by this you are referring to a "disadvantaged minority" [What is the English word for a term that is completely the opposite of the truth - would that be "a lie"?] then there's no need to worry. The UN Council on Human Rights looks to have it all under control.

For example, the afternoon of 6 August 2012 was the time that the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee discusses traditional values and human rights.
There, they had a weighty matter to discuss:
Preliminary study on promoting human rights and fundamental freedoms through a better understanding of traditional values of humankind. See working paper here - A/HRC/AC/9/2.

The Council’s Membership is based on equitable geographical distribution. Seats are distributed as follows:
  •     African States: 13 seats
  •     Asian States: 13 seats
  •     Latin American and Caribbean States: 8 seats
  •     Western European and other States: 7 seats
  •     Eastern European States: 6 seats

Since membership of the UNHRC (UN Human Rights Commission) includes the People's Republic of China, Zimbabwe, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan, and the past memberships of Algeria, Syria, Libya, Uganda and Vietnam, then I think you will see that we can all rest easy that the matter of choice of and approved/acceptable standard of dress to align with "traditional values of humankind" will be cleared up for us, pretty soon.
By the way, according to the working paper (above), "traditional values of humankind" is not currently a defined term. Yet they are still using it anyway - odd, that.

I think the thing to note here is that whatever dress standards are stipulated as approved/acceptable, the UN must ensure that no offence is given to any religion, as a separate working group is apparently moving to make that (giving religious offence) a criminal offence, worldwide.
Quite right, and about time too.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 01:57 AM »

Kind of OT, but...

Meh, I wouldn't take the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights as worth much or put much faith in it. In it they directly say that you have no rights if they don't want you to have any rights. i.e. "None of it applies to you."

Think I'm kidding? Article 29, section 3:

http://www.un.org/en...udhr/index.shtml#a29

(3) These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Now, given that the UN has an affiliated publisher that was originally named "Lucifer Publishing", ahem... Seriously? Yes. Seriously.

There are comments on the World Wide Web claiming that the Lucis Trust was once called the Lucifer Trust. Such was never the case. However, for a brief period of two or three years in the early 1920’s, when Alice and Foster Bailey were beginning to publish the books published under her name, they named their fledgling publishing company “Lucifer Publishing Company”. By 1925 the name was changed to Lucis Publishing Company and has remained so ever since.Both “Lucifer” and “Lucis” come from the same word root, lucis being the Latin generative case meaning of light. The Baileys' reasons for choosing the original name are not known to us, but we can only surmise that they, like the great teacher H.P. Blavatsky, for whom they had enormous respect, sought to elicit a deeper understanding of the sacrifice made by Lucifer. Alice and Foster Bailey were serious students and teachers of Theosophy, a spiritual tradition which views Lucifer as one of the solar Angels, those advanced Beings Who Theosophy says descended (thus “the fall”) from Venus to our planet eons ago to bring the principle of mind to what was then animal-man. In the theosophical perspective, the descent of these solar Angels was not a fall into sin or disgrace but rather an act of great sacrifice, as is suggested in the name “Lucifer” which means light-bearer.

And:

https://en.wikipedia...org/wiki/Lucis_Trust

The Lucis Trust has consultative status (roster level) with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.

:huh:

Nope. Totally un-make-up-able.

What was that phrase? Oh yeah... "HAIL SATAN!" :P

Now, look back at:

(3) These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

D'ya think that the "purposes and principles" are really sort of, like, maybe, "on the level"? Or might they be, oh, perhaps, just maybe, Luciferian? Or "Satanic" if you want another word for it?

I'm like totally convinced that Satan is like all really totally for peace, love, grooviness, unicorns, rainbows, cute puppies and all that stuff. Really. :P