ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Happy Birthday TRS-80

<< < (3/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Recalibrating these drives wasn't difficult if you had: a screwdriver, a special 'calibration' floppy disk, and the matching utility software. It was sort of a C=64 power user's rite of passage doing one of these. You had to crack the drive case (and void your warranty) to do it. But it was no harder than setting the dwell on a pre-fuel injection automobile engine. A little practice and a light steady touch were all that were needed. Most of us left the drive cases unscrewed and only elastic banded together after doing a few of those.

-40hz (August 05, 2012, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Holy Not-Just-Works Batman! I'd call that difficult! And we think our IT problems are bad today!  :o

Edit: The Commodore 64 took over the TRS 80 thread. I'll leave the meaning of that to my betters.  8)

SeraphimLabs:
I still have a Tandy TRS80 color in the attic. Working order, comes with a couple of program cartridges instead of floppy discs. Pretty sure the only one I have that I know works is Chess.

There's also a later model Tandy from the year 1991- it uses an Intel 386 SX CPU with most likely 2MB of RAM. Not sure what all is in it, I'd have to read the tags.
It's still in it's factory packaging, and has never been booted. I got that while working at an old radioshack store cleaning out the back room, it was too old to sell so the guy said I could keep it.

TaoPhoenix:

There's also a later model Tandy from the year 1991- it uses an Intel 386 SX CPU with most likely 2MB of RAM. Not sure what all is in it, I'd have to read the tags.
It's still in it's factory packaging, and has never been booted. I got that while working at an old radioshack store cleaning out the back room, it was too old to sell so the guy said I could keep it.

-SeraphimLabs (August 05, 2012, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Too old to sell, Ebay here you come!

40hz:
@TP -  Well...all things are relative I suppose. Back when it was a toss up between spending some cash or spending a few hours of your time, the time option usually won out. ;D

Seriously though, it wasn't all that hard after you did it a few times. Kinda like the first time you assemble a PC from parts. It seems complicated, but it gets much easier after that first time.

40hz:
I still have a Tandy TRS80 color in the attic. Working order, comes with a couple of program cartridges instead of floppy discs. Pretty sure the only one I have that I know works is Chess.
-SeraphimLabs (August 05, 2012, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

The CoCo has its fans. There are people who collect them FWIW.

The 386SX is a yet another straight-up PC clone. Might be fun booting it up for old times sake. Especially if you have an old copy of Windows for Workgroups mothballed somewhere in  there with it. A few hours with that will make almost anything that followed look and feel positively inspired - with the possible exception of Millenium Edition and Metro. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version