Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 04:43:32 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8 Metro has gone ...  (Read 2381 times)
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »

Not really - but the name has!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19108952

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »

They were probably hoping for a payout... I can't see any other reason they would wait so long.  Or is that overly cynical...

Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:31:48 AM »

Maybe they were waiting to see if the Paris Metro or the Tyneside Metro were going to take first crack!

Still hilarious. Can you imagine all the marketing materials that are currently being redesigned!

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »

I generally hate nonsense like arguing over who owns a word.

But in this case, I'll make an exception.  Grin Grin Grin

Those who live by the IP sword shall die by the IP sword.  tongue

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »

wallbash

IP is an illusion. The sooner people realize that, the better. It requires consent. Or force. But having to ask to use a word? Yeah... I think it's time to withdraw consent.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »

As a writer, I understand the theory of IP and why it exists... but the practice sucks!

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »

They were probably hoping for a payout... I can't see any other reason they would wait so long.  Or is that overly cynical...

+1 - These days I don't thing there is any such thing as being "overly cynical". We're getting down to the point where all there is left is sheep and skeptics.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »

As a writer, I understand the theory of IP and why it exists... but the practice sucks!

I hear you! I'm in pretty much the same boat. However, claiming ownership of things like basic physical principles, portions of mathematics, and individual words demonstrates that the state of IP (copyright and patent) is now flawed, and in all likelihood, flawed beyond repair.

We need some sanity. My fear is that we don't get it... Sad

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »

Some sanity? Never fear Renegade. We won't get it. Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »

Suggested new name: DeskMet (see my post with screenshot there)

If bad things happen to other people, it's karma. If bad things happen to me, it's kismat!
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »

Some sanity? Never fear Renegade. We won't get it. Grin

Ah, 40! The eternal optimist~! Grin

An~n~n~d... Always look on the bright side of life! De do, de do, de do de do de do!

kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

I invented the word "to". It is my sole intellectual property. Please quit using it in your posts. I have not given consent.

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

Fred Nerd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 05:26:52 AM »

aCertainCompany patented rectangles and the colour white, so I think we better all take a look at our display pics, or hire a good lawyer.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »

aCertainCompany patented rectangles and the colour white, so I think we better all take a look at our display pics, or hire a good lawyer.

Truth be told, I don't really know you well enough to know whether you are joking or not, because things really are that utterly nutty...  ohmy Wink

xtabber
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »

Sadly, it's only the name that has been changed (it's now called the "Windows Start Screen").

I haven't played with W8 yet, but given that even J. Peter Bruzzese, the house shill for Microsoft at InfoWorld, admits that it makes him physically ill, I'm not in a hurry to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.17 ]