Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 01, 2014, 06:37:08 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Birthday C=64  (Read 2918 times)
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19055707

I can't believe he didn't hook up the 1541 and save that tape drive loading time.  Or even use a cartridge or two. I mean, he could SHOW the tape drive, and START loading a game to demonstrate it's awfulness...

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »

Probably trying to make one of those "When I was your age we had to WALK to school - in the SNOW - and and it was UPHILL - BOTH ways" points.  Grin

Now if he just loaded up a copy of Ultima III  Thmbsup or Elite  Kiss he might have won a few converts.  tongue
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:52:19 AM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »

Last Ninja was also nice on C64.

Can't remember the name of the game anymore, but I think it required 3 disks and you commander of a team of people. And you commanded a space vessel, you could board other vessels in space, battle in space, travel through solar systems, excavate planets for stuff to buy and sell, enter the planet's cities and houses, trade with the locals etc. Quite extensive, especially for that day and age.

Ah well, enough miles on the the memory lane...soon I'll hit level 60 at Skyrim. 
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »

,8 ,1~! Grin

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
wraith808
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »

,8 ,1~! Grin

A true (old) geek joke smiley

TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 03:55:32 AM »

Poke Renegade 53280,0 to turn his shirt and pants black to make him a ninja!
Crush

Hello dude!

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 05:30:25 AM »

I remember starting my own C64 emulator 7 or 8 years ago with some kind of dynarec. Only the full CPU, memory and a simple VIC with Sprites were working. Perhaps I hang on again and bring it to the end in the future? A while ago I found a few of my first demoroutines I took to Amiga and later to PC with converters. This was really a memorable and moving moment looking at those pixels from the past and my beginning as a coder.

A friend of mine (a member of Farbrausch - perhaps you know them) made the most advanced and accurate but also rather unknown C64 emulator of them all. Perhaps you´d like to see how the C64 optics really were on old TVs - this is the best way on nowaday machines utilizing dynarec compilation techniques and full GPU usage (there are two versions of this emulator) even simulating your window reflections and disturbing electric behaviour of your old Monitor. If you´d also like to see how a 10000 fps C64 looks & feels with several Ghz speed - this one makes it possible. It´s still in development - not as dead as most other emulators!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:58:50 AM by Crush » Logged
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:56:56 AM »

I don't understand what is being emulated - I don't recall my old C64 as a kid looking anywhere near that awful on the TV.
Crush

Hello dude!

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »

Remebering the past always let thing look very nice and beautiful. That´s a human mechanism. This emulator reproduces all on an electronic based reproduction with such a detail no other emultor does at the moment.
You can change the settings to the level you like - also clean and perfect if you wish.
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »

Remebering the past always let thing look very nice and beautiful. That´s a human mechanism. This emulator reproduces all on an electronic based reproduction with such a detail no other emultor does at the moment.
You can change the settings to the level you like - also clean and perfect if you wish.

Nah, not quite beautiful, just I'm absolutely positive my screen didn't shake quite THAT much. I was a sensitive kid and it would have freaked me out (not exactly a headache, but something in that category.)
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »

I remember mine looking exactly like that.  That was the reason that I used my Laser 128 for anything that wasn't gaming- the CRT gave a better image than the TV.   And I don't believe that's shaking- that's overscan from the settings being off.

skwire
Charter Member

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

I still have our Commodore 128D that can be started up in C64 mode.  Does that count for anything?  I also still have our Atari 130XE as well.  Both fully work and I still have working software on 5.25 floppies.

TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 01:53:51 PM »

I still have our Commodore 128D that can be started up in C64 mode.  Does that count for anything?  I also still have our Atari 130XE as well.  Both fully work and I still have working software on 5.25 floppies.

+4 for the Commodore 128. It was PERFECTLY situated with a 250% better BASIC against the passage of about 3 years of typical childhood, such that it became my signature machine at 12, and I couldn't really grasp the harder concepts of the C64 at 9.
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

I still have our Commodore 128D that can be started up in C64 mode.  Does that count for anything?  I also still have our Atari 130XE as well.  Both fully work and I still have working software on 5.25 floppies.

Yes! It does. Great PC that little Frankenstein was. I named mine Zaphod Beeblebrox in honor of that dual CPU design.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:37:40 PM by 40hz » Logged

skwire
Charter Member

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »

Hehehe...yep, great machine.  My wife still has me hook it up occasionally so she can kick some ass on Impossible Mission.  She's badass at that game.   cheesy

"Another visitor. Stay awhile... staaaaay FOREVER!"

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »

Can't remember the name of the game anymore, but I think it required 3 disks and you commander of a team of people. And you commanded a space vessel, you could board other vessels in space, battle in space, travel through solar systems, excavate planets for stuff to buy and sell, enter the planet's cities and houses, trade with the locals etc. Quite extensive, especially for that day and age.

Were you thinking of Frontier: Elite II by Konami/Gametek?

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

I wouldn't think that Elite II fit the description of what he was talking about.  But... there's plenty of info about it to say if so.

Wikipedia Linkw

Official Page

Retro Reminiscence article

It was an amazing game- but also a lone wolf type of game.

Shades

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »

Elite II never captured the charm that Elite had, if you´d ask me.

The game I talk about I saw while visiting a local computer club annex copyshop (in more ways than one).
Shades

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »

Interesting (and lengthy!) article about old  and/or fading computer games.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.042s | Server load: 0.47 ]