ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should we pre-emptively retire old hard drives?

<< < (9/13) > >>

superboyac:
So i now have clearos running on a vmware.  Not sure what to do next, am currently investigating...

Ah!  I see, I install it, then use a regular web browser to manage and configure it.  Pretty nifty, nice on the eyes, and so far easy to use.

Stoic Joker:
So, just buy 2 then? :) Or 4 for mirrored raid?-Renegade (August 03, 2012, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

:huh: ...A 4 drive (RAID1) mirror? :D
-Stoic Joker (August 03, 2012, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Umm...Maybe Renegade is thinking of a RAID-10 (aka: "striped mirrors") since he's talking four disks?-40hz (August 03, 2012, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I Know ... I was just having a spot of evil fun poking him with a stick. We used the same configuration back when I first started where I'm at, but I had to switch it to a RAID5 due to space constraints.

I'm actually thinking of using it on the new rack system/virtualization/private cloud project if it gets off the ground for better redundancy since the performance numbers on RAID6 appear to be a bit (Um...) inflated. Not to mention the whole IOPS/spindle contention bla, bla, bla thing. Plan is to come out of the gate with about 8 or 10 virtual, on 3 physical, with a 3TB SAN...and leave room for an IT lab.

40hz:
Ah!  I see, I install it, then use a regular web browser to manage and configure it.  Pretty nifty, nice on the eyes, and so far easy to use.
-superboyac (August 03, 2012, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aha! I see you've already sussed it out.  :Thmbsup: (With thanks to mahes2k for getting back to you before I did! :) )

Couple more to look at:

Zentyal - nice small business oriented server

Should we pre-emptively retire old hard drives?

Amahi Home Server - a "loverly" piece of integration that has everything a home network could possibly use. And then some. Uses Greyhole to allow drive pooling too.
 8)

:Thmbsup:

Curt:
the timing of this thread is so weird to me. The day before yesterday I ran CrystalDiskInfo, and the thermometer said 42°C. Yesterday it said 48°C, and today it is shouting 58°C (you can cook a roast-beef at this temperature)!! - each time after approx 2 hours from Start. The sun is not even shining, and the front-door is open, so the room temperature is fair. I hope CrystalDiskInfo wasn't made by some hardware manufacturer trying to trick me into purchasing a new computer...

:tellme:

NigelH:
An alternate tool to monitor SMART info
GSmartControl

Watch out for this though
Using smartctl with Samsung F4 EcoGreen drives may result in data loss

Edit: apologies if previously mentioned in other threads - I didn't check.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version