ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dropbox Security Failure

<< < (2/3) > >>

IainB:
I just don't see why this is a security failure on the part of Dropbox.  Sure, they've had their failures, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.
-wraith808 (August 02, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
^ Yes. Probably not a failure per se by Dropbox.
It seems to me as though they have come clean about what looks to be a lapse in internal security policy/procedure, and it will be fixed and presumably no-one is to be given 50 lashes for the lapse.
Wuala begins to look better and better...

Deozaan:
I just don't see why this is a security failure on the part of Dropbox.  Sure, they've had their failures, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.
-wraith808 (August 02, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

The reason I used the word "failure" was more down to a brain-fart than anything else. I just couldn't (and still can't) think of a more appropriate word. It wasn't really a Dropbox vulnerability. Not really a Dropbox leak. Dropbox wasn't exactly hacked... So what is it?

wraith808:
It's more social hacking than anything else, I think.

Deozaan:
-wraith808 (August 02, 2012, 07:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the word just came to me, though it still isn't quite fitting. Perhaps a more appropriate title would be: "Dropbox Security Exploited"

wraith808:
-wraith808 (August 02, 2012, 07:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the word just came to me, though it still isn't quite fitting. Perhaps a more appropriate title would be: "Dropbox Security Exploited"
-Deozaan (August 03, 2012, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess it doesn't really matter... other than the fact that I don't think this has anything to do with dropbox security.  If I give my password to someone and they use it to access my account, is it the system's fault?  Pretty much, this is the same thing- the passwords were already compromised, and the people in question didn't change it on their accounts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version