topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Outlook.com  (Read 32484 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Outlook.com
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 10:48 AM »
If you sign up for this using a Windows Live account that uses a non-Microsoft email address, you don't get a new Microsoft email address you can send from, you'll have to send from your non-Microsoft email address within outlook.com.

I now realize this is INCORRECT, based on IainB's "potentially useful" link and seeing the "Rename your email address" option myself under the original Live account. So.....I have deleted my new one, going to wait a few days and try to rename my old one to the same one I deleted (unless in the meantime I decide that [email protected] is going to be too much of a spam magnet).

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Since this is brand new, it's hard to search for help on this stuff, all you get is links to the desktop client Outlook, outlook365 or office365 or whatever it is.  Good to know about the official blog.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Since this is brand new, it's hard to search for help on this stuff, all you get is links to the desktop client Outlook, outlook365 or office365 or whatever it is.  Good to know about the official blog.
^ +1 from me. I dislike being ill-informed about stuff like this. It's too easy to irrevocably screw things up. We are all in the same boat, it seems.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 12:00 PM »
I just wish Microsoft would stop calling everything Outlook!

Spent some time today trying to resolve an issue with a customers email - turns out the ISP had changed ot using Office365 for email and consequently she had been moved to new servers - pop.outlook.com and smtp.outlook.com - they do not seem to relate to the public outlook.com being discussed here.

Talk about deliberately clouding the issue and causing confusion - 90% of the time you look for support for Outlook searches still turn up mostly irrelevant information from Outlook Express days or the wrong version of Outlook ...

It isn't as though they need the outlook brand to be carried forward - I would have though MS would want to drop it as the Office version is pretty universally slammed by anyone who has to troubleshoot it!! It seems to me an ideal opportunity to come up with a anew mail brand ... Metro Mail (oops no can't have that), Windows Mail (oops been there done that), ditto Live Mail ... how about Bing Mail ? Now that would draw the crowds for sure!

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Carol, I just noticed your ads in the screenshot look more like "user tips," mine looked more like Groupon type discounts, they seemed so far to be all from restaurant dot com iirc. I supposed they roll things out differently based on region.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 05:30 PM »
They sure have a generous selection of emoticons:
Screenshot - 8_6_2012 , 6_27_58 PM.png

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Carol, I just noticed your ads in the screenshot look more like "user tips," mine looked more like Groupon type discounts, they seemed so far to be all from restaurant dot com iirc. I supposed they roll things out differently based on region.

I think it looks like the ad space but they haven't got the UK ads to fill it yet - and I defy them to find relevant local ads where I live!!!

The reason I assume this is the ad space is the link at the bottom of the panel to Ad Choices.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I defy them to find relevant local ads where I live!!!

@Carol - "Not even Wensleydale?"  :P

W&G-Truckle72.jpg

;D

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Hey - if that came up I would turn off adblocker!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Earlier in this thread I posted:
Potentially useful post from Office.com - Outlook blog: (click on link to view)
Upgrade from Hotmail to Outlook.com

There's another helpful post there now, with some rather interesting/clever tips that I hadn't known about:
Upgrade from Gmail to Outlook.com in 5 easy steps

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 05:54 AM »
I was wondering has anyone here been using Outlook.com regularly, if so, how's it going? :)
(Further comparisions with gmail of special interest here.)

btw Iain started a new thread about migrating:
Migrating from Google Gmail.com to Microsoft Outlook.com
 :up:
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 06:52 AM »
@tomos: I have only been using Outlook.com/SkyDrive a bit, as I could not see an easy way of migrating fully from Gmail - until today (which was why I made that separate post about migrating from Google Gmail.com to Microsoft Outlook.com).

Given my increased reliance/use of OneNote and its integration in MS Office Professional Plus 2013 (cost $10.00), my intention is to move to the better integration (and fuller-featured functionality) of MS Office + SkyDrive + Win8.1 + Contacts.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 07:19 AM »
^Thanks Iain

Was reading this: http://www.zdnet.com...st-gmail-7000022571/ (The Case against Gmail / Ed Bott) - the comments are informative.
When the outlook import feature (see the Migrating thread) gets activated here, I can just try it out and see how I get on.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 07:25 AM »
I see Outlook offers a paid "Ad-free Outlook"
http://windows.micro...look/ad-free-outlook

What caught my eye there was:
What you get
No account expiration

You don't need to log in to keep your account active as long as your Ad-free Outlook.com subscription is current.

So, the free Outlook.com has inbuilt account expiration :tellme:
My mail gets checked regularly but that is still not inspiring of confidence...
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 08:13 AM »
Yes... it's been that way since hotmail.  If you don't login for a set period of time (I think it's 90 days) your account gets wiped.  You still retain the account, but all of the e-mail is gone.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 11:08 AM »
If anybody is that sold on the Outlook experience (and has $4 a month to spend) it might be worth looking into Microsoft's Exchange Online offering. That gives you email hosted through Microsoft's Exchanger server cloud services. It's pretty powerful and compelling since Outlook doesn't reach anywhere near its real potential until it's wedded to an MS Exchange backend.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 12:27 PM »
I'm thinking more and more about it...  becoming less and less enamored with google's offerings.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 01:29 PM »
If anybody is that sold on the Outlook experience (and has $4 a month to spend) it might be worth looking into Microsoft's Exchange Online offering. That gives you email hosted through Microsoft's Exchanger server cloud services. It's pretty powerful and compelling since Outlook doesn't reach anywhere near its real potential until it's wedded to an MS Exchange backend.
Stoic turned me on to this in the other thread.  I don't have a terribly good idea about the power and potential that Exchange offers.  Can you give some more details?

Is it possible to make a GAL with that service?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I'm thinking more and more about it...  becoming less and less enamored with google's offerings.
+1000 on that.  I'm currently trying to figure out how to minimize google services used on an android phone.  I know I need the gmail account, but I don't necessarily need the email or anything else.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 02:36 PM »
Stoic turned me on to this in the other thread.  I don't have a terribly good idea about the power and potential that Exchange offers.  Can you give some more details?

Is it possible to make a GAL with that service?

The Gnomes of Redmond will give you a free 30-day trial of it along with the rest of Office365. No card required. Best bet is to try it since this is one of those product lines you either love or hate. There's tons of vids up on YouTube if you want to see it in action. Microsoft also publishes a huge amount of info on their website.

Much as I don't like public cloud, it's a compelling proposition they're offering. Small businesses without affordable or available IT staff could do worse than sign on for it.

I'm guessing all Microsoft products will be "sold" this way before another 10 years passes. Like Adobe, they want to sell you services - not products.

-------------

P.S. Call me slow today, but what's a GAL?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 03:01 PM »
P.S. Call me slow today, but what's a GAL?
I thought you of all people would know what a gal is :D
(sorry couldnt resist that dig)

I'd guess it's this, but SB will have to confirm:
http://en.wikipedia..../Global_Address_List
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 03:42 PM »

Correct, and yes the Exchange online does have one. It's a full fledged Exchange server with a web based configuration interface, and full PowerShell support (from LM).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 03:43 PM »
@t - You're right.  I should.  ;D

@Sb - Yes, it provides group roles and GAL.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Ah! Stoic got in ahead. Thx man! :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 03:58 PM »

Correct, and yes the Exchange online does have one. It's a full fledged Exchange server with a web based configuration interface, and full PowerShell support (from LM).
hmmm....I'm really having a hard time seeing where these options are.  Let's say I have a csv file of addresses.  I want to use it to make a GAL, but I can't find that option anywhere.  I'm really having a hard time with all this gui oversimplification windows has done with windows 8 and wp8.  it's too much.  too much white space, not enough buttons.  But they still need the functionality, so they are hiding everything in the weirdest places.  is it really that much of a gui nuisance to have a little menu button somewhere that expands all the options in one place?  is that really going to turn the entire market away from windows to apple?