ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Immersive Explorer: Oh God why?

<< < (5/8) > >>

Edvard:
They use them when they see them, but they don't know they need them.
--- End quote ---
Why should non-techy users get them nailed down at all?
--- End quote ---

Your former answered your latter.  A useful function, albeit unknown to the user, suddenly becomes an essential tool when the personal usefulness decrees them "nail it down".

A "non-techy" person may not have the same proclivity to go searching for better ways to do things, but when they are found or revealed, human nature takes over, faster-better-easier wins out over habit and ignorance.

For most folks, anyways...

Welcome back from me too as well, f0dder  :Thmbsup:

Tuxman:
Uhm, well, my mother is quite non-techy and she didn't see the difference when on her new system x² was replaced by Windows Explorer. She just doesn't "use" them.

40hz:
Also, I kinda like the Metro visual style.-f0dder (August 01, 2012, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to know there's at least two of us that do.
-Stoic Joker (August 01, 2012, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have anything personally against the look of Metro. Especially since I prefer "flat" icons over the more popular beveled or 3D variety. What I do object to is the way Metro works - or more correctly, being forced to toss out my current workflow just because Microsoft decided to arbitrarily change the entire user "experience" without so much as a "by your leave." And to add insult to injury, for no real reason other than to do something different to create the appearance they're somehow innovating. And don't even get me going about their closed ecosystem plan for the Metro workspace...

I completely dumped Ubuntu for showing far less hubris than that. And that was before Canonical sold out over UEFI and (more recently) started officially referring to their distro as "The Ubuntu Operating System" without so much as a nod towards its GNU/Linux roots. :down:

Stoic Joker:
Also, I kinda like the Metro visual style.-f0dder (August 01, 2012, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to know there's at least two of us that do.
-Stoic Joker (August 01, 2012, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have anything personally against the look of Metro. Especially since I prefer "flat" icons over the more popular beveled or 3D variety. What I do object to is the way Metro works - or more correctly, being forced to toss out my current workflow just because Microsoft decided to arbitrarily change the entire user "experience" without so much as a "by your leave." And to add insult to injury, for no real reason other than to do something different to create the appearance they're somehow innovating. And don't even get me going about their closed ecosystem plan for the Metro workspace...-40hz (August 01, 2012, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

(qualifier aside-> Like I said two of us.  :D

TaoPhoenix:
I think Metro will go the way of the Zune. We have a bad problem with "3 year marketing" from MS right now, where because we have to live with every day at a time, we get pummeled by their ad budget, and the related MS-Controlled-Blog-Spin with the slanted What-about-this articles.

Metro sux. Any more and I'll end up in the Basement. It's the Zune for OS. I don't know what the RIGHT answer is yet, I'm not THAT good. Only that this feels like another of their myopia-inducing campaigns, except it's not music where they went from PlaysForSure to Zune to Nothing, it's their core OS. I profoundly don't trust it. Sure there are minor usability problems in the classic Windows Explorer model, but Metro isn't the answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version