ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Immersive Explorer: Oh God why?

<< < (2/8) > >>

mouser:
we increasingly seem to be entering an age where functionality takes a very distant back seat to eye candy.

Renegade:
we increasingly seem to be entering an age where functionality takes a very distance back seat to eye candy.
-mouser (August 01, 2012, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Now for my tongue in cheek... :P ;)

Ahem... You apparently missed this little company called "Apple"... :P

;D

f0dder:
we increasingly seem to be entering an age where functionality takes a very distance back seat to eye candy.-mouser (August 01, 2012, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure - but, depending on use cases and how well pieced together this explorer replacement is, couldn't it be more functional for some users than standard explorer?

For me, it definitely won't be, and I can tell that without testing the software - I depend on xplorer^2 when I do file management, and the ability to have both single- and dual-pane operation mode is simply plain great... and in file management mode, I deal mostly with files rather than 'abstractions'.

But for Casual Joe? Something like this might be a decent thing.

Also, I kinda like the Metro visual style. It won't work everywhere, but when done properly it's damn clean and decently looking, compared to the gaudy Apple-style "let's make the ebook reader look like a wooden bookshelf" crap. I wonder if all the wasted space in the above screenshot is simply because there's not enough items on the "home screen" to fill it out, or if it's an active design decision - I hope it's the former :-)

rgdot:
I can see non-techy users loving this actually. Pane variations, new windows and the like mean little to those users, most of those that I know any way.

Tuxman:
I can see non-techy users loving this actually.
-rgdot (August 01, 2012, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Non-techy users don't use file managers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version