ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A software for compress file and able to find them first

<< < (2/4) > >>

daddydave:
Just now I did this (I have Locate32 and HAOzip installed, I think any archiver would probably do)

* Brought up Locate32 (I can bring it up using Win-F on my system)
* Did a search for .py (Python) files
* Selected a dozen files from the search results.
* Right clicked on the selected results
* Clicked HaoZip > Add to archive (Note: the Windows Explorer right click menu is replicated in Locate32)
* Clicked Browse and browsed to the Desktop
* Gave the filename Test.zip and hit OK.
* Opened the file Test.zip from the desktop and there were all the files I selected.
Is that something like what you need? (Re-reading the original post, I guess you are needing something more automated. It is a little more GUI, though. ;) )

daddydave:
Copy the command line utility of winrar (rar.exe) into somewhere in the path (i.e. windows folder)

Put this in a batch file (*.cmd or *.bat) and run this in the relevant folder.

--- ---for %%1 in (*.txt) do rar m -x*.rar -m5 "%%1.rar" "%%1"

I know this does not scan the whole disk for subfolders, but only the current folder, but you can develop the batch file a bit.

MilesAhead's proposed solution may be easier though.
-eleman (August 01, 2012, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have a batch file that can run another batch file in the current directory and all subdirectories. Nothing special but I wanted to recreate something I had from the DOS days because I had a need at the time. I call it sweep.cmd

--- Code: Text ---@echo offsetlocalset oldcd=%cd%for /R %%D in (.) do ( cd "%%D" %*)cd /d %oldcd%endlocal

Maybe it would be of some use.

Edit: corrected a bug I just now saw, lol

daddydave:
I would to scan my hard disk (or disks) for a file with certain conditions
-Contro (July 31, 2012, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

What tool do you currently use to search for files on your system, are you using the Windows default or a third party tool such as Locate32 or Everything. If Windows, what version of Windows?

Are the "certain conditions" fairly constant or do you want to full search power of your chosen tool?

eleman:
So, combining the line I provided with the work by daddydave:
Put rar.exe into somewhere accessible such as the windows folder, and then use this as a batch file:

--- ---setlocal
set oldcd=%cd%
for /R %%D in (.) do (
 cd "%%D"
 for %%1 in (*.txt) do rar m -x*.rar -m5 "%%1.rar" "%%1"
)
cd /d %oldcd%
endlocal

Run it in the top folder where you want the compression to happen. Don't run it at your root folder or some system files which should remain txt will be compressed as well. That would be asking for trouble.

Contro:
I would to scan my hard disk (or disks) for a file with certain conditions
-Contro (July 31, 2012, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

What tool do you currently use to search for files on your system, are you using the Windows default or a third party tool such as Locate32 or Everything. If Windows, what version of Windows?

Are the "certain conditions" fairly constant or do you want to full search power of your chosen tool?
-daddydave (August 01, 2012, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

You read my little mind. I revived Locate32 last night.
I have certain problems with locate and use less.
My system is windows xp pro sp3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version