topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DONE: Paste a screenshot in windows explorer  (Read 20755 times)

patku

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DONE: Paste a screenshot in windows explorer
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:09 PM »
My request is detailed on SuperUser, but basically I would like to use the standard PrtScn/Alt+PrtScn keys and then use Ctrl+V or Shift+Insert (standard paste keys) in a windows explorer window to "paste" that screenshot as a new file. Optionally, a popup will supply a default name and allow me to override it.

It looks like MiniCap provides 90% of what is needed...

Thanks!
Pat
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:09 AM by patku »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Paste a screenshot in windows explorer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:28 PM »
You can do exactly what you want using my Screenshot Captor; just set the option to automatically copy the screenshot to the Clipboard, and set the program to stay minimized after capture (so it doesn't pop up asking you what you want to do after each capture).

patku

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:00 AM »
@mouser I may be missing something, but it seems that your directions allow me to get a copy of the screenshot into the clipboard. However, I don't see a way to paste that screenshot into an explorer window to create an image file of that screenshot. (Of course, I could auto-save to a directory or paste the image into Paint and save it, but that's not what I want.) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:09 AM »
However, I don't see a way to paste that screenshot into an explorer window to create an image file of that screenshot.

Just follow my instructions above and the image will be copied to the clipboard.  Then you can just exactly what you asked, go to windows explorer, and hit Ctrl+V where you want the image and hit Ctrl+V to paste it; that will create a new image file.

Having said that, I see an unpleasant aspect -- when you hit Ctrl+V it will create a new image file, but the image file will be called "Clipboard Image.bmp" and be in bmp format.  Wheras if you just drag it out of the Screenshot Captor thumbnail panel into a windows explorer window, it will make a copy of the file and preserve the filename and format.

I'll look into an option copying the file to the clipboard in the way that preserves filename and format.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:17 AM »
[...Having said that, I see an unpleasant aspect -- when you hit Ctrl+V it will create a new image file, but the image file will be called "Clipboard Image.bmp" and be in bmp format.
Odd. I get nothing pasted in Windows Explorer, but a .png file in xplorer².

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:27 AM »
[...Having said that, I see an unpleasant aspect -- when you hit Ctrl+V it will create a new image file, but the image file will be called "Clipboard Image.bmp" and be in bmp format.
Odd. I get nothing pasted in Windows Explorer, but a .png file in xplorer².

same here with Windows Explorer, and a jpeg file in Directory Opus...

(Win7, 64 bit)
Tom

patku

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:34 PM »
When I try to paste into Win Explorer I don't get anything (and Paste in the context menu is grayed out). However, I can open mspaint and paste in the image, so it must be in the clipboard. (I didn't realize that this functionality is supposed to be present because I didn't see any options for it or suggestion that it was possible in the description I read :-)

This is on a WinXP x64 machine. I'll try later on my Win7 32-bit laptop. Maybe it's a 64-bit shell issue?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 06:53 AM »
I didn't realize that this functionality is supposed to be present because I didn't see any options for it or suggestion that it was possible in the description I read :-)

try using the post capture "Pop Up Choice Dialog" - you may not want to stick with it, but it will give you an overview of possibilities.
enable via:
Preferences > Interface Options 1 > Pop Up Choice Dialog

slightly dated image here in the online help file
https://www.donation...tcapturepopupdia.htm
Tom

patku

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 12:32 AM »
try using the post capture "Pop Up Choice Dialog"
Thanks for the suggestion, but there are no options for "simply open a windows explorer window and paste" :-).

Also, I tried on my Win7 Pro 32-bit laptop and still got nothing when pasting into explorer :-(. I'm gaining an appreciation for all of the coolness of Screenshot Captor, though!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:59 PM »
patku, I can write you a small script that should work for you.  However, you would need to have a certain option turned on in your Windows Explorer options.  Namely, this one:

vGW_C7 005.pngDONE: Paste a screenshot in windows explorer

Also, this script will not use the standard Ctrl+V hotkey.  You're just asking for trouble trying to override standard hotkeys like that.  I currently have it using Win+V but can change that to whatever you want.  Would this be acceptable?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 08:23 PM »
patku, I can write you a small script that should work for you.  However, you would need to have a certain option turned on in your Windows Explorer options...
Do we actually need a script to do that?
I would like to understand how come @mouser can paste an image from Clipboard into a .bmp file (by default) in Windows explorer, and yet we cannot.
If we knew what configuration in Windows was required to enable this default, then we wouldn't need a workaround script - would we?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:09 PM »
If we knew what configuration in Windows was required to enable this default, then we wouldn't need a workaround script - would we?

Well, my script offers additional functionality; you can specfiy a name and it also supports pasting as JPG, PNG, GIF, or BMP.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I thought this was a good idea, so I decided to make a quick app called Paste As File. Right click on the desktop or on the background of a Windows explorer window and select Past As File. You can then save the clipboard to a file based on the contents. Either a text file or an image in PNG or JPG format. You can download it from my website if you are interested. It's free.

http://starpunch.net/#PasteAsFile

Clipboard_20120804.png

patku

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 12:01 AM »
@skwire Thanks for your willingness to create such a script. Maybe it would be better, though, if the functionality were added to (or fixed in?) Screenshot Captor (if I'm not the only one interested in such a feature). And I'm happy with the PasteAsFile solution, so no pressure from me anymore :-)

@c.gingerich I can't believe I never thought of generalizing the idea to pasting anything in the clipboard into a file - genius! And I tried it out on my Win7 32-bit machine - works like a charm. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:13 AM by patku, Reason: miswrote »

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Great, glad you like it. I am going to make some tweaks to it and I'll post an update. I'll put it in the Announce Your Software topic for everyone to see.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:53 AM »