Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 21, 2014, 10:19:43 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What features of DC are most important to get right if DC moves to Invision?  (Read 3078 times)
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

I see in the other thread about this, that people are worried about losing certain features, if DC moves to Invision.

It might be an idea to get those listed here, and that way, if the move does happen, then maybe they can be implemented.

As many of you know, DC is VERY heavily modified, and it pretty much only using root code from SMF to do some basic functions, and most other things have been created especially for the DC forum.  Now, I am no expert when it comes to this, but I would go ahead and assume, mouser would be more than willing to port these nice features, to any new platform, meaning that the user experience will actually be much more fun, and a lot better for all involved.

So...Back on topic...What features here on DC, are most important to you?

Requested ByFeatureDescription
jgpaivaUnread PostsShow Unread Posts
jgpaivaShow New (To You) Post In ThreadTakes you to the last post you haven't read in the thread
jgpaivaShow new replies to your postsSelf Explanatory
jgpaivaQuick ReplyFast Post Reply
jgpaivaAttachmentsSet attachments in posts
jgpaiva(Moderator) Delete all posts + user when BanningSelf Explanatory
jgpaivaDonationCreditsSelf Explanatory
superboyacSearchSelf Explanatory
superboyacCompact Dense ViewsNot lots of whitespace on forum
TaoPhoenixShow Recent PostsSelf Explanatory
wraith808ThreadmarksBookmarking of Threads
cranioscopicalMark All Messages As readSelf Explanatory
app103Highly customizable RSS feedsSelf Explanatory
wraith808SpeedThe overall responsiveness of DC should be kept to a maximum
Stoic JokerMember BadgesAwarded to users who complete certain tasks or fulfill a criteria.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:44:25 PM by Stephen66515 » Logged

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »

My browsing experience on DC is dominated by the Unread Posts page, so that's vital for me. I love how clicking the "new" icon brings me to the last post I haven't read in the thread (which may be older than the last post).
I also like how I can mark threads as unread, so they'll come up on that page again. I use this frequently to answer stuff later.
Also, I like how the "new" icon works also when browsing the boards (and not only on the unread posts page).
The fact that the "unread posts" page shows those icons with "you replied to this thread", "this thread has lots of posts" and stuff like that is also useful. (And I also use a lot the "Show new replies to your posts" page, which is a subset of the "unread posts" page).
I also like the "quick reply" box, not sure if it's available everywhere. And the attachments mod.

As a moderator, I like how it's easy to ban users (3 clicks) and it deletes the spammer's when banning, I like how posts can be reported to moderators, and I like the email notifications with suspicious stuff and mod activity.

Oh, and donationcredits. Everybody loves donationcredits tongue

[edit](after reading the post bellow mine tongue )
+1 for search! [/edit]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:50:02 AM by jgpaiva » Logged

superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:49 AM »

For me:
--Searching.  The search here is awesome, literally the best I've seen.  The highlighting, the post previews, the colors, the fact that searches actually bring up relevant results.

--attachments.  attachments are also remarkable in their ease of use and flexibility.

--efficient use of space.  Most other forums software, including the invision ones that I've seen, waste a whole lot more space.  This is just a pet peeve of mine.  I like things to be compact and nicely organized.  Seems most of the rest of the world prefers lots of space everywhere, double-triple spacing, huge white spaces, etc.  To me, it just means I have to look through mroe pages, more clicks, because it means less stuff on the screen.

--the ignore feature for ignoring threads.  love that.

TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

For me:
--Searching.  The search here is awesome, literally the best I've seen.  The highlighting, the post previews, the colors, the fact that searches actually bring up relevant results.

--attachments.  attachments are also remarkable in their ease of use and flexibility.

--efficient use of space.  Most other forums software, including the invision ones that I've seen, waste a whole lot more space.  This is just a pet peeve of mine.  I like things to be compact and nicely organized.  Seems most of the rest of the world prefers lots of space everywhere, double-triple spacing, huge white spaces, etc.  To me, it just means I have to look through mroe pages, more clicks, because it means less stuff on the screen.

--the ignore feature for ignoring threads.  love that.

Amen! Even back in the book world I'd skip buying books that had too much white space, it felt like a money grab for a 120 page book to be bulked to 240 pages trade with colossal margins.

I'll also say I tag team the "recent posts threads" at the bottom and then the Recent Posts for more details if a thread might have fallen off the page.
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »

Added a list to OP (Will add more when requested)

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:25:43 PM »

Speed.  Some other boards that I frequent take forever to do anything.  I love DC's responsiveness.

Threadmarks.  I look for them on other boards, but they're so hard to get to.  Having them on the thread in the menu- and the array of things possible.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »

--efficient use of space.  Most other forums software, including the invision ones that I've seen, waste a whole lot more space.  This is just a pet peeve of mine.  I like things to be compact and nicely organized.  Seems most of the rest of the world prefers lots of space everywhere, double-triple spacing, huge white spaces, etc.  To me, it just means I have to look through mroe pages, more clicks, because it means less stuff on the screen.

agreed. i'm having a hard time finding an invision layout that feels comfortable to me and nice and compact and dense, without being too damn busy.  so much damn flair everywhere on invision, hard to capture the dc feel Sad
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »

I like 'Mark All Messages As read.'

Chris
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:53:40 AM »

I like Bookmarks and Unread since last visit

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 04:44:28 AM »

Maybe I missed something - is there a real need to change what works so well?

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

Maybe I missed something - is there a real need to change what works so well?
Carol, I believe that's a discussion for this thread: A more radical transition idea for DC CMS

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

Highly customizable RSS feeds, in particular the ones for the blog and each individual user. They are used to post DC content to other sites, namely Twitter, Facebook, and Friendfeed, where there are DC pages that people can follow and subscribe to.

There are also some DC members (like me) that use their individual RSS feeds for automated posting to their accounts on social networking sites, whenever they post on the forum.

Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »

Updated List

Anything Else?

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

Missed -> Speed.  Not to be taken for granted.  Some platforms are pretty slow, and it's not because of latency- it's because of bad code.

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »

Don't know that it's critical, but the member badges would be nice to carry over.
mahesh2k
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »

It's hard to take the same theme to VB or IPB. I mean not even SMF's new version have this type of smooth theme. I think making the background white and then adjusting few bits of the IPB theme can make it more readable. Something like vanilla forum theme.

IPB is fast if the bells and whistles like (calendar, shoutbox,gallery and few unwanted stuff turned off).

I also would like to see the badges moved to new forum if this transition is not mousered. tongue
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »

Updated OP

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.06s | Server load: 0.17 ]