ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Olympic Gold Medals a Whopping 1.34% Gold

<< < (5/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
Andy Warhol was right, but more like in a futurist sense predicting now.
-TaoPhoenix (July 31, 2012, 01:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think what he was getting at was TV would be enough to do the damage. Probably among the first to feel the pain was the stand-up comic.  Going town to town playing clubs (s)he could earn a living for years from 45 minutes of decent material.  One shot on Carson and it's over. Everyone has already seen the shtick.

Likely the people who make money off notoriety now are the people who had it to start with.  Paris Hilton.. Laurence Fishburne's daughter.. tennis player Ashley Harkleroad..  she didn't stay in the top 20 very long, but she cashed in with the Playboy shoot etc..

Guess it still works for the privileged.. as one would expect. :)

TaoPhoenix:
Andy Warhol was right, but more like in a futurist sense predicting now.
-TaoPhoenix (July 31, 2012, 01:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think what he was getting at was TV would be enough to do the damage. Probably among the first to feel the pain was the stand-up comic.  Going town to town playing clubs (s)he could earn a living for years from 45 minutes of decent material.  One shot on Carson and it's over. Everyone has already seen the shtick.

-MilesAhead (July 31, 2012, 01:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're on the right track, but at least at that point people HAD seen the schtick, so he'd be famous for X minutes to write a new one.

What we have now is a giant case of "Who?" Kinda the whole US in our own little pockets and only a very few make it to be generally known across the net.

MilesAhead:
You're on the right track, but at least at that point people HAD seen the schtick, so he'd be famous for X minutes to write a new one.
-TaoPhoenix (July 31, 2012, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Only those who could afford to buy jokes survived.  New jokes that work, that aren't stolen from other comics, can't be cranked out.  Even if you look up funny sayings by "geniuses" like Woody Allen or Groucho Marx, it's unusual to find more than 5 or 6 "gems" in the pile. And that's after a whole career of insight. Guys like Carson who had to do it 5 nights a week had teams of writers that included guys like Dick Cavett. Some old ex Vaudeville guy going from town to town was known, but couldn't get any work, after being on Carson.

A lot of people complain about the "dirty routines" in comedy clubs. But when you think about it, it's job security.  Your routine can't be shown on regular TV. Or if they show it with the bleeps, people will pay to see it done uncensored.  If you do HBO or some venue where they can air it raw, then make sure you're paid enough to live on and buy new material besides.

40hz:
A lot of people complain about the "dirty routines" in comedy clubs. But when you think about it, it's job security.  Your routine can't be shown on regular TV. Or if they show it with the bleeps, people will pay to see it done uncensored.
-MilesAhead (July 31, 2012, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

But couldn't most people just fill in the blanks anyway? Most of what gets bleeped out isn't hard to guess. Especially with most comics who have what my GF calls "a one-word vocabulary."
 ;D

Note: one problem with shock comedy is the same "dirty blues" singers have when they bomb on stage. They're never sure if the audience didn't like their act because it was too dirty - or not dirty enough. ;)

MilesAhead:
But couldn't most people just fill in the blanks anyway? Most of what gets bleeped out isn't hard to guess. Especially with most comics who have what my GF calls "a one-word vocabulary."
-40hz (July 31, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could say the same thing about R rated films. Some people will see them in the theater, some on pay movie channels or streaming on TV at home, and some will wait for them to be shown on basic cable. Yeah I can tell when the person uses the 'F' word on basic cable. But is my brain going to melt if I hear it without the bleep? Is it really protecting the innocent or just dividing the media into markets?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version