ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Olympic Gold Medals a Whopping 1.34% Gold

<< < (3/6) > >>

jgpaiva:
@jgpaiva but aren't the medals more valuable as collectibles than for melting down?  Stolen Superbowl rings likely go for more as-is on the black market rather then melted down for the metal.
-MilesAhead (July 29, 2012, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree, but now imagine how much they'd be worth if they were in fact true gold!

MilesAhead:
@jgpaiva but aren't the medals more valuable as collectibles than for melting down?  Stolen Superbowl rings likely go for more as-is on the black market rather then melted down for the metal.
-MilesAhead (July 29, 2012, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree, but now imagine how much they'd be worth if they were in fact true gold!
-jgpaiva (July 29, 2012, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Also when I posted I didn't think of smaller events. A 24k statue for a local foot race might go missing even if the thief never heard of the event. :)

Stoic Joker:
So the contestants are given trinkets for theirown "safety" ... Yeah, there's some badly spin doctored bullshit. Kids spend the entirety of their young lives training for a shot and end up (basically) getting a stick of gum for their efforts - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...endorsement deals are great if they want to spend even more time towing the corporate image line. But that doesn't really reward their efforts ... It just gives them a "golden" opportunity to be a shill. Hay...maybe if they were paid shit for that also, they couldn't afford to get into so much trouble ... That'd be a win/win ... Not!

jgpaiva:
So the contestants are given trinkets for theirown "safety" ...
-Stoic Joker (July 30, 2012, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that's my conjecture, don't know if there's any truth behind it :P
Personally, if I got an olympics medal, I would never sell it regardless of its value, so I'd actually prefer getting a cheaper medal and some money, since the medal is just sentimental.

Stoic Joker:
So the contestants are given trinkets for theirown "safety" ...
-Stoic Joker (July 30, 2012, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that's my conjecture, don't know if there's any truth behind it :P
Personally, if I got an olympics medal, I would never sell it regardless of its value, so I'd actually prefer getting a cheaper medal and some money, since the medal is just sentimental.
-jgpaiva (July 30, 2012, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Understood, but it fit nicely with my dim view of corporate attitudes. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version