topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR stopped displaying all alias icons after trying to create new icon  (Read 5716 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was trying to improve on the duckduckgo icon (the original one being the favicon from the site, I was trying to make a new one using Screenshot captor.)
I was using Paint.net and an addon for .ico.. and I was experimenting with multiple sizes in the source file (including an odd suggestion of 121x121 which was the same size as the original image). Then I decided I only needed 64x64 or 32x32 and tried those. At some point FARR seemed to decide to display a generic icon for every alias, whether it was Core or MyCustom. I double checked the aliases to make sure I didn't do something besides creating a new image, like screw up the icon path. I restarted FARR, deleted the Windows icon cache, restored an older copy of FindAndRunRobot.ini from 4 hours ago, deleted the duckduckgo.ico file, and rebooted, so I am not sure what else to try to get FARR to display alias icons again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ok so first things first, you shouldnt be able to cause any problems by anything you are doing.

But it's possible that somehow your windows icon cache got flumoxed.

So a good thing to try is to rebuild your windows icon cache.

Two ways to rebuild:

Let me know if that solves the problem.. I'm really not sure how you could cause this problem even if you wanted to.

One thing you could try is, after you rebuild the windows icon cache, go to the folder of these aliases and make sure that windows explorer is displaying the icon files correctly.  That is, see if its a problem with your windows shell drawing the icons rather than a farr-specific problem.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did try deleting IconCache.db and rebooting.
The icons look fine in Windows Explorer.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I wonder if maybe ONE of the icons is corrupted and it's breaking farr's icon rendering.
Can you look for any possible icon file that you may have changed that is broken?

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The icons look fine in Windows Explorer.

But..I just noticed I am getting generic looking icons in Firefox downloads as well! I don't think that was the case before.

And speaking of downloads, that thing I downloaded from the free-icon-editor .com domain with 4 giant ad banners every time it launched, that I immediately deleted, was probably malware and I bet it screwed up something with my .ico association.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Uninstalling and reinstalling FARR fixed the problem.

I had renamed:
Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot
"C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot"

I had renamed those folders previously but reinstalled without an uninstall and that didn't work.

But after uninstall and reinstall the problem is fixed and I was able to put back my existing "Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot" and it remains fixed. Weird.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wonder if maybe ONE of the icons is corrupted and it's breaking farr's icon rendering.
Can you look for any possible icon file that you may have changed that is broken?

I was thinking this too, and I was only working on the one .ico file, so I would think it would be that one if that's the case. Now that I seem to have arrived at a way to fix it, I am going to try to re-create the "icon of death." No luck so far.