ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ripping My DVD Collection

<< < (3/6) > >>

superboyac:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have a recommendation for what a very good (or hopefully best quality) procedure would be for ripping a commercial movie DVD for storage on a home media server to be played on a hi-def TV? I'm less concerned about file size than I am about picture and audio quality.

With audio files and media, I'm very comfortable with what I need to do. (In my case use EAC to rip to lossless FLAC for archive, and optionally "distill" down to MP3 if/when/as needed.)

But I'll be the first to admit I'm one step down from a total noob when it comes to video formats, containers, and codecs. And there seems to be a good deal of contradictory recommendations on how to best do things when I google the web.

So...anybody have a strong recommendation for what's optimal? It doesn't need to be product specific. As long as the "settings" are given I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to do them on whatever I end up using. (I generally do RTFM for most things if an FM is available.) And I'm also willing to try things out using different recommended products if I need to.

Any 'real world' feedback (or the title of a good book or a good website) would be greatly appreciated. :)
-40hz (July 27, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Makemkv:
http://makemkv.com/
one button solution.  Stick your dvd in, press the button, a couple of wizard nexts, and you're done.  Just be aware: there is no compression, no modifications at all.  fbi warnings are removed, advertisements are removed, you're just left with the movie in one mkv file.  Chapters, subtitles, and alternate audio streams are all maintained (beauty of the mkv format).

If that doesn't work, you'll have to consider the other more complicated options, of which I have recommendations also.  The only real issue with Make mkv is going to be file size and if you're computer is not powerful enough to handle the playback.  A bluray disc will become a 30-50GB mkv file, a dvd movie will become a 4-8GB file.  Any regular computer more that 3 years old will probably struggle with these.

40hz:
@sb - Makemkv seems about my current speed (i.e. 1-click) so I'll definitely give that a try. Thx! :Thmbsup:

Once I've got a few successful rips under my belt maybe I can then play around and see which transcoding options offer an acceptable trade off of file size to picture quality.

@4wd/tslim/skwire - ISOs are a definite possibility - although I'd hate to waste so much disk space saving things beyond the main movie and (possibly) the English subtitles. So I guess a straight ISO is last resort for me right now. But thanks for the input. As I said, I'm less than a beginner when it comes to video. So any information, ideas, advice, or recommendations anybody would care to share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all. This is what makes being part of the DoCo community so great! :)

Shades:
@superboyac:
The PC I use mainly, is an AMD64 3200+ single core that is 7 years old. The mainboard is an Asus K8N which is similar in age. Then it has a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600 AGP videocard, a SATA2 320GB Seagate harddisk and 2Gigabyte of RAM...and guess what, it plays .mkv files just fine with a resolution of 1920x1080.

No hiccups whatsoever. I think it would be able to run Windows 7 (Aero-less) just fine as well. And I am planning to keep using it untill the hardware gods claim it for themselves.

superboyac:
@superboyac:
The PC I use mainly, is an AMD64 3200+ single core that is 7 years old. The mainboard is an Asus K8N which is similar in age. Then it has a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600 AGP videocard, a SATA2 320GB Seagate harddisk and 2Gigabyte of RAM...and guess what, it plays .mkv files just fine with a resolution of 1920x1080.

No hiccups whatsoever. I think it would be able to run Windows 7 (Aero-less) just fine as well. And I am planning to keep using it untill the hardware gods claim it for themselves.
-Shades (July 28, 2012, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's very interesting.  I was going to start a thread last week about this issue.  I want to know, very exactly, what are the main factors in 1080p playback smoothness/responsiveness.  Is it the RAM?  GPU? CPU? And what are the most resource-intensive types of files to play back, because in building a system, you want that file to play very easily.  Over the years, I've found that mp4 is probably the most resource intensive, and after that it gets complicated because of all the formats, containers, etc.

Like, you can get a brand new laptop for $500 or less that seemingly has far more "specs" than SHades' old computer, and it won't really be able to play a 1080p video file in mp4 format.  Or an uncompressed 60GB mov file.  And I'm not just talking about simply playing it, that's just the first step.  Is the computer struggling with it?  Is it easy to seek back and forward?  Is it a decoder issues, sometimes there are third-party decoders that are better than others (coreavc comes to mind)?  How about solid-state drives vs. regular?

40, video stuff is very complex.  When I first started getting into it, I had no idea how difficult it would be to wrap my mind around these questions.  And it's become sort of a hobby of mine.  The end goal: I want to know how to build a desktop pc super cheap that can play the biggest files you can reasonably expect to throw at it.  I logically thought the GPU would be the main important piece, but it doesn't appear to be the case.  It would be a fun experiment to see on different hardware configurations how different files behave, and then make a matrix out of the results.  Then people would be able to really see which hardware components they would need for certain playback goals.

40hz:
^It might surprise you. People have been reporting the Raspberry Pi can handle 1080p just fine through the DMI plug although I don't know what file type they're playing or at what size.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version