ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ripping My DVD Collection

<< < (5/6) > >>

Curt:
I've found this works well:
BDlot DVD ISO Master-MilesAhead (July 29, 2012, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if BDLot are maintaining their programs, but they surely aren't maintaining their site
- or maybe they merely confused Seasonal with SeasonAll:

The Christmas tree let me win 3 programs!,
until I realized they should have been registered half a year ago...

J-Mac:
I have a Samsung HDTV that can only play certain formats. E.g., it cannot play DVD files nor ISO files, however it can play MPEG files. I use AnyDVD-HD along with CloneDVD2 to rip my commercial DVDs to HDD as DVD files (VOB and IFO files within Video_TS folders) and then I use another of their products, CloneDVDMobile, to convert the DVD files to MPEGs.

The first rip, to DVD files using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 takes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the size/length of the features, but the conversion to MPEG files can take longer; one took me over 1½ hours just for the MPEG conversion.

I did get a suggestion from someone on the Slysoft forum that I may try to implement: He says he is running 4 DVD writers & 1 Blu-Ray writer in external USB enclosures. Each one connects to a separate motherboard USB port (no hubs) and he has not removed any riplock speed settings or updated stock firmware. Claims he can rip 20-24 movies per hour using AnyDVD/CloneDVDMobile to a 10k rpm Raptor drive. I purchased a new computer from Puget Systems in January but my old Falcon-NW box is just sitting there waiting for me to do something with it. Hmm....   8)

I already have AnyDVD/AnyDVD-HD and CloneDVD2 - I purchased lifetime licenses for both in late 2003 and have used them ever since with much pleasure!! I purchased their products that I didn't yet own - CloneCD, CloneDVDMobile, and the HD upgrade to AnyDVD (for Blu-Ray) - back in January 2009 when they finally did away with selling lifetime licenses; they offered lifetime licenses for a few more months then. So the software didn't cost me anything more for the conversions.

BTW, I previously transcoded a number of my DVDs to HDD using AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 into DVD files. I rip them at 100% quality and DVD-D/L size (DVD9). Most regular length DVD movies - fully cloned with all special features, menus, etc. - are taking up about 6.5 to 7.5 GB each. Surprisingly converting them to other formats reduced the size significantly. E.g., "Watchmen-Director's Cut" ripped to DVD files is 6.75 GB, while the AVI conversion is only 3.49 GB; "The Hunted" (The one with Tommy Lee Jones & Benicio DelToro) ripped to DVD files is 7.12 GB, while the MP4 conversion is only 1.6 GB. Of course neither MP4 nor AVI supports menus or chapters so the special features, etc. aren't on those files. I converted those two just recently and I've watched a good bit of each on my computer and 27" ASUS ws monitor - they played very well full screen on that! However I have not tried watching them on my Samsung HDTV yet. I'll post back after I watch them on there to let you know how it looks on there. If it works on there!

Thanks!

Jim

MilesAhead:
I've found this works well:
BDlot DVD ISO Master-MilesAhead (July 29, 2012, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if BDLot are maintaining their programs, but they surely aren't maintaining their site
- or maybe they merely confused Seasonal with SeasonAll:

-Curt (July 29, 2012, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think Feb this year is all that out of date for a free decrypter. That's the latest release I'm using. If you want latest greatest to decrypt against new blockbusters you'll probably have to pay. If you want to rip DVDs that have been in your collection for years this app in combination with DVD Shrink will do the job for most of them.

edit: Also it's good to look here:
http://www.videohelp.com/

You can find things no longer available other places. For example the author of Imgburn is proscribed from hosting DVD Decrypter that he wrote. If for some reason you still have a use for this old app, such as other no longer developed tools that expect to use it, you can still download it from videohelp.

Tinman57:
  I've ripped with DVDSmith Movie Backup many times and it has worked like a charm.  It will remove copy-protection and real simple to use.  Best of all it's free (Last time I checked anyhow).....
DVDSmith Movie Backup

Carol Haynes:
+1 for DVDFab

You can rip directly to ISO files or if you prefer to VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders.

You can also rip just the movie (no extras or menus etc.)

OK it isn't free but it works quick and only requires about 2 clicks to do the job.

There are also addons for ripping BluRay (no data loss) or BluRay to DVD format.

Finally there is an addon to convert to mobile formats.

I have the same problem - too much crap in the house (DVDs, BluRay, Books and CDs - not to mention computer crap) but I haven't found a solution I would be happy with - ripping DVDs to HD wouldn't do it for me as I would still have the DVD!!

Another alternative is book storage for your DVDs - you can buy storage solutions that pack hundreds on indexed CDs and DVDs into scratch resistant and chemically stable sleeves together with inlay cards and booklets. You do have to be organised (I'm not and that is why I gave up on it) but it can reduce the clutter enormously.

How about these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-Storage-Wallet-Massive-Capacity/dp/B004CYR166

(this isn't the storage system I was thinking of, as it doesn't store the paper work, but it stores lot of disks in a small space).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version