topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google Fiber  (Read 13111 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google Fiber
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:18 PM »
http://fiber.google.com/about/

I'd love for my internet to be faster and anything but Comcast.  There's apparently infrastructure already set up all over the US.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Fiber
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:20 PM »
I am jealous

Free internet at today's average speeds Future-proof your home with free internet at today's average speeds.
You can upgrade to Fiber speeds anytime, with no additional equipment needed.

Up to 5Mbps download, 1Mbps upload speed • No data caps • Free service guaranteed for at least 7 years • Includes Network Box
$300 construction fee (one time or 12 monthly payments of $25) + taxes and fees

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:32 PM »
1GB Per Second?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :o :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :o :o :o :o

Unprofessional Rant In Caps
OMFG WHY THE FUCK DO ENGLISH ISPS HAVE TO BE SO GODDAMN FUCKING RETARDED...WE HAVE TO BEG TO EVEN GET 120MBPS (COVERS VERY LITTLE OF THE UK) - 1/5 OF THE UK CAN BARELY EVEN GET A FUCKING STABLE 1MBPS CONNECTION BECAUSE ISPS WONT FUCKING RUN DECENT COPPER WIRE CONNECTIONS TO THESE PEOPLE, LETALONE FUCKING FIBRE OPTIC...MY ISP ARE SPENDING MILLIONS ADDING 20MBPS TO THEIR TOP PACKAGES, IGNORING ALL THOSE WHO CANT GET ANYTHING REMOTELY GOOD, LEAVING THEM WITH FUCKING UNSTABLE AS HELL INTERNET WHICH HAS SUPIDLY LOW CAPS (10GB/MONTH LIMIT IN MOST CASES!) WTF IS THIS SHIT

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:38 PM »
What's the catch?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:40 PM »
1GB Per Second?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :o :o :o :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :o :o :o :o :o :o

-Stephen66515 (July 27, 2012, 04:32 PM)

About the rant -- things are similar here. So I definitely hear you on that! :) (I generally peak at 150 kbps or so and this is supposed to be 20 Mbps...)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I can't help but wonder with the Google Network/Storage Box exactly how long it would be before the contents of any computer connected to it start appearing in Google searches....

Google Search: "The Dark Knight Rises" mkv movie

Results: None found but Fred Jones at 43 Piratez Drive, Berkeley, California has 1 copy on the Windows 8 PC connected to port 3 of his Network Box.
Options: Fetch file or Report to MPAA?

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:43 PM »
I can't help but wonder with the Google Network/Storage Box exactly how long it would be before the contents of any computer connected to it start appearing in Google searches....

Google Search: "The Dark Knight Rises" mkv movie

Results: None found but Fred Jones at 43 Piratez Drive, Berkeley, California has 1 copy on the Windows 8 PC connected to port 3 of his Network Box.
Options: Fetch file or Report to MPAA?
* Stephen66515 clicks Fetch File  ;D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 05:15 AM »
What's the catch?
Yes, especially for the "free" version!

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:56 PM »
1GB Per Second?!
-Stephen66515 (July 27, 2012, 04:32 PM)

Well, to be pedantic, it's actually 1Gbps -- that is, it's bits rather than bytes, or 1/8 as fast as you were ranting about.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Well, to be pedantic, it's actually 1Gbps -- that is, it's bits rather than bytes, or 1/8 as fast as you were ranting about.

But still darned zippy...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 04:42 PM »
What's the catch?

• Connection speed is capped at "regular internet speeds" ("up to" 5mbs down/1Mbs up - but no indication of the lowest speed) on free version.
  • $300 up front & non-refundable if you upgrade to the faster speed later on
  • Lifetime guarantee = 7 year service commitment if Google decides to bail out
  • Privacy. Everything you do online will be data mined by Google. Count on it.
  • Bug Brother is watching you! As was alluded to earlier, don't even think of doing anything that may be illegal on Google's network. So bye-bye to "sharing" copyrighted media, ferquenting the warez torrents, hacker darknets, and many other things you may currently enjoy, depending on your personal tastes. And expect full behind the scenes "voluntary cooperation" with any government snooping requests regardless of any public hand wringing over it by Google.

But the single biggest catch I can see is simply waiting for it to be available in your locale.

It's pretty clever of Google. They're sure to face protests and outrage from all the other services and cable giants who want to keep their antiquated practices and pricing schemes going for as long as possible. Google just let the cat out of the bag and let people know what they could expect from a company that realizes it makes absolutely zero sense to price and treat digital data communications using the same economic and business models as analog communications uses.

Digital provides (or can provide) virtually infinite bandwidth. You don't need all the regulations, bandwidth caps, and technical safeguards that were formerly imposed to minimize distortion and signal degradation in non-digital telecommunications and radio signals. The cable companies and telcos (along with most of the regulatory agencies) are still ocked into the old analog voice communications mindset. And voice communications (both analog and digital) now represents only a 20% (and dropping) share of the actual signal being carried by these dinosaur-brained companies.

Nice marketing move. Create customer demand and political "pull" - and then move into the communities begging for it. Now lets see how well Comcast, Cablevision, and AT&T can lean on their political stooges to introduce regulatory hurdles to block it from happening...

Love it! (Too bad I don't trust Google as far as I can thow it. :-\ )

Still...if it comes into my area, I know I'll probably buy into it. :-[

embarassed.jpg
                             40hz is such a hypocrite sometimes.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:15 PM »
^^ At least the bunny is cute :)

And I wonder how much of this is to force other ISPs to follow suit.  I think Google probably sees itself as limited by the limits ISPs put on their services.  This way, they force them to be competitive, and after the market has changed, they bail if it isn't profitable enough or too much of a headache.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Bug Brother is watching you! As was alluded to earlier, don't even think of doing anything that may be illegal

Not that what you say is wrong... But it's my opinion that Google has done more to protect privacy than any of the telecom companies. The phone companies in particular seem to have completely rolled over, giving the keys to the network to the gov't without a whimper -- even though it was illegal to do so.

It looks to me like Google (a) doesn't just provide a network port for bulk tapping; and (b) vets each request for info. That's not as good as taking a stand for what's right, but it's a heck of a lot better than we get from ATT, Verizon, etc.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 06:45 PM »
It looks to me like Google (a) doesn't just provide a network port for bulk tapping; and (b) vets each request for info. That's not as good as taking a stand for what's right, but it's a heck of a lot better than we get from ATT, Verizon, etc.

Agree. But it's only a matter of time before 'the powers that be' get the wording and constitutional overrides fully worked out. Once the laws are less 'ambiguously worded' Google will roll over. Which is the problem with not taking a stand for what's right. So while I agree with you that Google has done more, it's still more of a rear guard action IMO than a brave confrontation. Being more than a little cynical these days, I also suspect Google is more interested in doing what they think they can get away with rather than doing what they obviously know is right.

Note: Feel free to ignore the above. It's just my childhood rearing its pointy little head. We used to be required to take civics classes back then. Government sponsored public schools taught us how things were supposed to work, and what this country was supposed to be about. But that was before corporate greed and government paranoia derailed us. Small wonder they don't teach civics sny more. :(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:51 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 06:50 PM »
^^ At least the bunny is cute :)

And I wonder how much of this is to force other ISPs to follow suit.  I think Google probably sees itself as limited by the limits ISPs put on their services.  This way, they force them to be competitive, and after the market has changed, they bail if it isn't profitable enough or too much of a headache.

Yup! Like I said. It's brilliant! ;D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 03:34 AM »
What's the catch?

• Connection speed is capped at "regular internet speeds" ("up to" 5mbs down/1Mbs up - but no indication of the lowest speed) on free version.
  • Bug Brother is watching you! As was alluded to earlier, don't even think of doing anything that may be illegal on Google's network. So bye-bye to "sharing" copyrighted media, ferquenting the warez torrents, hacker darknets, and many other things you may currently enjoy, depending on your personal tastes. And expect full behind the scenes "voluntary cooperation" with any government snooping requests regardless of any public hand wringing over it by Google.
But the single biggest catch I can see is simply waiting for it to be available in your locale.
300USD is pretty steep, but still it's 3USD/month for 7 years, which is what, 10 times better than the alternatives there?
Privacy: I agree, but I'm not sure if the others aren't doing the same.
What do you mean with "bug brother"? You think they'd be more strict than regular ISPs? Why?

I'm starting to agree with wraith808: looks like it's a market push, and they'll bail out if it doesn't work out well for them. At least the consumer is the only one who comes out winning, this time :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 07:06 AM »

Agree. But it's only a matter of time before 'the powers that be' get the wording and constitutional overrides fully worked out. Once the laws are less 'ambiguously worded' Google will roll over. Which is the problem with not taking a stand for what's right. So while I agree with you that Google has done more, it's still more of a rear guard action IMO than a brave confrontation. Being more than a little cynical these days, I also suspect Google is more interested in doing what they think they can get away with rather than doing what they obviously know is right.

So in short, their copious mound of freshly mined data is far to succulent a target for the alphabet soup crowd to pass up. Yes?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 08:51 AM »
What's the catch?

300USD is pretty steep, but still it's 3USD/month for 7 years, which is what, 10 times better than the alternatives there?

It's only a one-time fee, and it's payable at $25 per month if you don't  have it up front. After that it's "free." So considering most US subscribers pay between $25 and $40 per month for DSL or cable, it's a good deal.

Privacy: I agree, but I'm not sure if the others aren't doing the same.

I don't think anybody has the ability, or technology, to mine and correlate web data better than Google does. And they have a track record of pushing the envelope when it comes to interpretations of what constitutes "reasonable protection" of individual privacy. Maybe not as bad as Facebook. But not all that much better.

What do you mean with "bug brother"? You think they'd be more strict than regular ISPs? Why?

By 'Bug Brother' I mean "We're Watching You. Closely."

re: More strict: Yes I do. Especially if they're providing a free service to some (possibly many?) subscribers. Because every eye in the industry is going to be on them since they're pulling the rug out from under established businesses with their pricing model. The first mistake or serious problem and they'll be all over Google. If people did do illegal things on your network - and they aren't paying for  the access - a good case could be made for "aiding and abetting" since you provided the means at no cost to the potential violator. It might even bring the whole "safe harbor" concept into question.

So yes...I think Google will ultimately become (or be forced to become) even more strict than what we're seeing from ISPs so far.

I'm starting to agree with wraith808: looks like it's a market push, and they'll bail out if it doesn't work out well for them. At least the consumer is the only one who comes out winning, this time :)

Agree. Wraith808 nailed it. :Thmbsup:

So in short, their copious mound of freshly mined data is far to succulent a target for the alphabet soup crowd to pass up. Yes?

Pretty much. Google is in the problematic position of having a business based almost completely on monitoring web activity, compiling that information, and then selling it back to interested parties. So protecting an individual's privacy is not an intrinsically desirable thing for Google - even though creating the impression that there is privacy is good for their business.

Advertisers, political organizations, and others have been trying  to figure out a way peek into people's lives, watch what they're doing, suss out what they're thinking, and predict their behaviors. With the advent of the web, the mechanism is finally in place to do that. It's just too big a temptation for Google to be completely on the up & up about it.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 05:28 PM »
Still,

$3/month averaged over 7 years  (Google Fiber)
$6/month over 1 year   (VPN with multiple exit gateways)

For $9/month I'd think you'd still be well ahead compared to a normal ISP, have some security against Google, (or at least no worse off than you already are), plus be better insulated against the MAFIAA and any Federal acronyms.

Sign me up!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Sign me up!

Yup me too! (see embarrassed bunny above)

Hmmm...$300 into 7 years is $3.58/mo.

$40/mo. over 7 years is $3360.

So that's a net savings of $3060 (or $36.42/mo.) for 5/1Mbs. service?

Like the old rock song used to say: "I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it..." :-[
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:38 PM by 40hz »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Maybe Google Fiber will be unnecessary:

Researchers claim to have increased the data capacity of optical networks to the point that all of the world’s internet traffic could be transmitted via a single fiber...

http://www.gizmag.com/cudos-fiber-optic-network-capacity/26969/