ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (38/41) > >>

IainB:
In windows the creation data presents in properties the data the file was created and the hour , minutes and seconds.
So I think is possible, to determine in an audio , the hour-minute and second of every moment.
Do you know an audio reproductor that presents the every moment while the audio is playing ?
Best Regards
 :-*
-Contro (August 23, 2018, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Go to this DCF discussion: Searching for information in audio notes in OneNote.
MS OneNote users are able to search for decipherable words and phrases in audio clips saved to OneNote. ON starts to index these audio tracks for decipherable spoken words/phrases, as soon as an audio file is saved into ON. It will do this for audio/video files also.  The ON search function will list the indexed Notebook pages with audio file(s) containing the words/phrases being searched for.
Clicking on the audio file (an attachment icon) on the relevant Notebook page will play the audio recording.

Furthermore, if there is also a documented transcript of the audio, under the saved audio file, showing the minutes and seconds of each spoken phrase, then OneNote will move a selector bar down the transcript, line-by line as the audio is playing. If the user clicks on any particular line at any chosen minute/second, then OneNote will immediately jump to and play from that line onwards.

This seemed to be an amazingly powerful set of functionality, one which I literally stumbled upon by chance, not having previously seen it documented anywhere.
-IainB (August 23, 2018, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Contro:
Downloading OneNote
Sounds like Keep or Gnotes....

dantheman:
While the theme is still "hot"...
Does this audio/video search feature work for non-English languages?

(do not hesitate to let me know if it is better for further questions to post at the aforementioned thread).

IainB:
@dantheman:
You ask:
While the theme is still "hot"...
Does this audio/video search feature work for non-English languages?
(do not hesitate to let me know if it is better for further questions to post at the aforementioned thread).
-dantheman (August 24, 2018, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good question!    :up:
 - and certainly good that you asked it in this forum, as the answer is both relevant and informative and it relates to other ON voice-related issues (e.g., generating transcripts) which have puzzled me for some time.

I didn't have an answer - as I have only needed/used English audio for searches, though I do have some French audio (songs) in ON in .mp3 files.
So, I did a duckduckgo.com search using the terms: Onenote audio search works in what languages?

Bingo! The first item in the search results list was:
(Partially copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images, with some notes/emphasis being mine.)
OneNote Audio Search &amp; Audio Search Languages
Daniel EscapaOctober 10, 2006 <-- Note the date! This technology has been around for years.
... Olya might want to comment more on this as she is the owner of audio search but I also wanted to mention which languages are supported:

* English
* Japanese
* Chinese Traditional
* Chinese Simplified
* Korean
* German
* French
* Spanish
* Italian... (read it all at the link).
Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/descapa/2006/10/10/onenote-audio-search-amp-audio-search-languages/

--- End quote ---
That's just the bit about languages - to answer your question. The rest of that post was rather interesting too and also the other search results in the list, including for example:

* 2nd.: Search notes in OneNote

* 3rd.: ONENOTE : can't search inside my AUDIO registrations ...

* 4th.: Audio transcriptions and annotations with OneNote
Let's say for example that you have a voice recording that you made using a dedicated recorder and want to put a transcription of it into OneNote (maybe in support of meeting minutes and other notes). ...
,,, Follow Richard's instructions to set up your audio input for speech. In OneNote, place the insertion point on the page where you want the text to appear. Using the speech TIP (available on Tablet PC or Vista), set the dictation mode ON. Here's where to find some of these settings on a Tablet PC (use the settings in order 1, 2, 3): ...
... Now play back the audio as you would normally. VoilĂ , text appears in OneNote that is vaguely similar to a transcription (see caveat above). ...
... If you want to use recordings made in OneNote, be aware that the default recording quality for OneNote is not meant for speech recognition. We use a voice codec and bit rate/sample rate designed to compress spoken word audio as small as can be while still usable by human beings. In OneNote 2007 we increased the settings slightly to make audio search work better, but speech recognition (transcription) requires a much higher level of quality. ...
... To set up your future recordings in OneNote to be transcribable, first go to Tools/Options/Audio and Video. Switch the codec to Windows Media Audio 9.1 Professional. If this isn't available consider downloading the latest set of codec for Windows Media (should come with WM Player 10). Otherwise just pick the highest settings available (e.g. 44Khz, 440kbps) for now - you can experiment with lower settings later. ...
Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chris_pratley/2006/03/16/audio-transcriptions-and-annotations-with-onenote/

--- End quote ---

dantheman:
Seeing that there's no "like post" or "thank you" icon to click on...
Just want to "verbally" express it with these lines  :Thmbsup:
Hope it can work out for me as well as for everyone else who'll drop by to read your most extensive explanation!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version