ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (33/41) > >>

dantheman:
You're a good tutor IainB!  :Thmbsup:

Seems like i'm missing something in my version of ON 2016:
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/2442/tja10m.png

IainB:
You're a good tutor IainB!  :Thmbsup:
Seems like i'm missing something in my version of ON 2016:
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/2442/tja10m.png
-dantheman (December 10, 2017, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, thanks. Though I left tutoring/lecturing a while back, I am still interested in the subject and the training and learning required to develop reasonably proficient tutoring skills was retained and useful, in my subsequent career, so it got fairly regular exercise, and now, later, again, with my children.

You're not missing anything except the visual perception of the RHS scrollbar visible in that panel in the screenshot. It's there, hidden in plain sight! I don't know why Microsoft engineers made it such an unintuitive, bad ergonomics scrollbar. If you make that panel scroll down, then you will be able to see what is below and currently out of sight in that screenshot. It behaves a bit erratically as a pukka scrolling window.  I initially made exactly the same mistake as you seem to have done, when I was looking for the information (that I knew was there) to put factually into my comment above.

I do think Microsoft might have done a better job with updating the training documentation for OneNote. It's been rather scrappily done, IMHO.

dantheman:
Got it!
Thanks again!

IainB:
Someone posed me the question:
How to capture/copy text into OneNote from:

* online .PDF files, or
* .PDF image files, or
* security-copy/printing-locked .PDF files.
There are two approaches I would suggest:

* 1. Print to OneNote: Normally, if you can print the image of the .PDF file to OneNote, then the embedded text in that image (or in images of its pages) can be OCRed and indexed for searching/copying in OneNote.
* 2. Image clip OCR scan: If it is not possible to take the first approach, then the simple answer is to use the OneNote image clipping tool on the page context as displayed on your PC display screen. (Consider rotating the screen 90° so that landscape view becomes vertical portrait mode, to capture more of the page in each clip.)

* Those image clips are saved into a default location in a OneNote Notebook, and OneNote will automatically OCR scan them and index for search any identifiable text in the images.
* Alternatively: You could use the ABBY ScreenshotReader to OCR scan directly from the screen, and paste the text thus identified into a OneNote Notebook. This is worth considering, as ABBY SR seems to have a consistently lower error rate in OCR scanning than does OneNote (as I demonstrate in this thread), and also can scan tables with columnar text, retaining the columnar layout, for pasting into OneNote or (say) Excel.
A bit off-topic, but might come in useful:
Some years back, on a very large and important documentation conversion project for an electrical engineering company, I tested and deployed for use a piece of excellent software (Omnipage) which operated on similar principles as above. The documents were vitally important assets as they related to specs of specific high-voltage electrical equipment (physical assets) in the field (e.g., transformers and substations in the National Grid), which had to be updated as and when the  equipment had maintenance/changes carried out on it - this was quite literally a matter of life-or-death risk for the field engineers who had to service the equipment, because sometimes the equipment isolation procedure was changed/modified during maintenance, and this had to be logged in the specs. Thus the new isolation procedures were documented to make it safe for the next engineer who might work on that asset in future - the engineers relied absolutely on the documentation for performing correct isolation.

Unfortunately, a lot of the documentation assets could not be updated, As they were security-locked and the relevant security passwords had been lost during a prior corporate takeover.    :o
Omnipage  was able to bypass security-copy/printing-locked .PDF and other document files by simply reading in the file to RAM as a series of images, and then OCRing the images in RAM. It could then output copies of the images in RAM as a new and separate (unlocked) .PDF file, (usually without errors), or as an editable/indexable .PDF file (usually with very few errors). It also handled diagrams, etc. as discrete images in the file. Very handy if one needed to have text-editable/copyable/indexable copies of previously "locked" documents!    :Thmbsup:

Here, for info:
Never retype another document
Don't spend hours retyping documents. With OmniPage Standard, the world's best selling OCR software, scan and convert different types of documents, such as paper, PDF files or images into editable and searchable files with ease.

Get OmniPage Standard for £79.99

Copied from: OmniPage Standard | Nuance (UK) - <https://www.nuance.com/en-gb/print-capture-and-pdf-solutions/optical-character-recognition/omnipage/omnipage-standard.html>

--- End quote ---

IainB:
Cross posted here regarding Page Four - as a potential alternative PIM to OneNote: and which may be of interest. Though Page Four was not designed to handle all the functionality and data types (including text, .RTF, .html, OCR, images, audio, embedded video, etc.) that OneNote handles, it's specs look like it might be very well-designed for its purpose and the price can't be beaten at $Free. At the end of its development life-cycle, it is likely to be a pretty well-honed and tested (in the field) product.
I did give it a cursory trial a while back, but it was an "also-ran" as far as my PIM requirements were concerned. However, out of interest, I might give it another look now, anyway.

* _____________________________________
EDIT 2018-01-25: I did re-trial Page Four, and it remains an "also-ran" as far as my PIM requirements are concerned.
_____________________________________That's what CRIMP (Compulsive-Reactive Information Management Purchasing) does to one. But I at least have it under control - trialing a PIM software product helps me to release the CRIMP urge, whilst my extremely tough requirements mean that it is only very rarely that I will actually lay out hard $cash for anything.    :-[

Interesting. Is Atomic Scribbler sort-of an updated version of Page Four ?
https://www.atomicscribbler.com/Home/Gallery/

Yes, I see it is
http://www.softwareforwriting.com/

[ Invalid Attachment ]
-tomos (January 15, 2018, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

@tomos: Thanks for those links.    :Thmbsup:
I see from the links that Page Four was the main ($Paid) software product by <http://www.softwareforwriting.com/>, up until 2017 when it became $Free, but unsupported, as a new $Paid product became the focus of development and is intended to supersede Page Four - which is a perfectly good .RTF document authoring/creation tool.

Hats off to softwareforwriting.com for making such a smart marketing move. They'll get my vote.
This is redolent of:

* Microsoft releasing their excellent $Paid and yet-to be-beaten Microsoft Money Plus "Sunset" accounting system for $Free, and
* Google's release of a "Sunset" version of their excellent $Free and yet-to be-beaten Picasa image management software as it reached end-of-development.-IainB (January 15, 2018, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version