ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (32/41) > >>

dantheman:
It works IanB, thank you!

IainB:
@dantheman: I just re-read what I had written above, and wondered whether I should have mentioned how OL (Office Lens) is integrated for use with OneNote and Onedrive. So, from memory and at the risk of duplication, in case you did not already know it:
1. Capture the document/whiteboard/photo/business card using the camera+OL.
2. Save the thing captured - document image/whiteboard image/photo/smart VCF business card (respectively) to one or both selected default destinations:

* a OneNote Notebook (you will need to have previously set up the default destination for this save). The OneNote Notebook can be either in the Cloud (i.e., a Notebook in your OneDrive storage) or on the Client (i.e., a Notebook saved on the PC's hard drive).
* somewhere else (typically OneDrive or your PC's hard drive) as an image file or as a document file (e.g., Word or PDF file) saved to somewhere else - typically a UserID subfolder - e.g., (say) Documents folder or Camera Roll/Saved Photos, etc.
Remember that any images saved to OneNote will be automatically OCR-scanned (this first has to be set ON in settings for it to be the default action) so that any legible text in the image becomes indexed data and can be found using the search function in OneNote (is only searched/found if the Notebook is OPEN when you start the search), and can also be found using WDS (Windows Desktop Search), if the Notebook is on the Client hard drive and that filetype (.ONE) is set to be indexed.

IainB:
Details of update to a very useful macro, posted in Onetastic:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Macro Update: Convert Copied Paths to File Hyperlinks Macro
There is an update to a macro in Macroland - Last Updated: December 03, 2017
Convert Copied Paths to File Hyperlinks Macro by Simon Rear

Converts selected pasted "Copied Paths" into file hyperlinks. This provides similar functionality now removed from OneNote that allowed files copied from windows explorer to be pasted as hyperlinks.
To use:
1-Ctrl Select multiple files within windows explorer,
2-Shift + right click one of the selected files,
3-Choose "Copy as Path" from context menu,
4-Go to OneNote and paste into a page,
5-Select all pasted paragraphs,
6-Select "Convert Copied Paths to File Hyperlinks" from Onetastic's hyperlink menu.

See a demo of the macro in action at https://youtu.be/22nMT8wy8Cc. If you find this macro useful please consider donating to http://www.paypal.me/SimonRear to encourage the development of more useful timesavers.

In this version: Previous macro version had double backslashes stripped out after upload for some reason introducing a bug preventing macro from working. This version corrects this.

Go to the macro | Comments (6)

--- End quote ---

dantheman:
@IainB,

Silly me, can't find option (desktop 2016 or Android) to have ON search within scanned items by default.
Always thought it was a good thing if they could do that but never saw that option.
I'm blind!

Will find it...

IainB:
@dantheman: For data access/search, the relevant settings include:
1: Target Notebook:
In ON (2016), go to: File --> Options --> Save & Backup (panel) --> Save menu item:
Set the default Quick Notes Section to save to, and check the other defaults there are what you probably want.
NB: It is probably worthwhile going through the rest of the Options panels in that window to familiarise yourself with them, and change them as necessary. The other standard defaults in ON - as set up on installation - are usually adequate, but may not be ideal in all cases. The Advanced panel is especially useful. Microsoft have attempted to provide assumed default options for optimising the use of computing resources, including  bandwidth, response time, disk storage, and GPU, but the user can change these to suit their particular requirements/constraints. One cannot easily "break" anything here, but take care anyway, just in case - e.g., think twice before relocating the default save/backup directories.

Then move down to the Send to OneNote menu item:
Set it as: "To new page in section Quick Notes in [name of main Notebook whose Quick Notes section you want to use as the default]"

2: Audio search:
In ON (2016), go to: File --> Options --> Audio & Video --> Audio Search menu item:
I think this was NOT ENABLED by default.
To ENABLE this, there should be a tick in the box by "Enable searching audio and video recordings for words"

3. OCR and indexing of text in images:
In ON (2016), go to: File --> Options --> Advanced menu item:
In the Advanced panel, scroll down to "Text recognition in pictures".
This is ENABLED by default.
To DISABLE this, there should be a tick in the box by "Disable text recognition in pictures".

Hope that helps, or is of use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version