Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 24, 2014, 02:07:01 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Big brother Microsoft listens in to your Skype IMs  (Read 3089 times)
joiwind
Participant

carpe momentum

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »

As said in the article maybe this will finally incite someone to build a really good open source alternative to Skype : Big brother Microsoft listens in to your Skype IMs.

I have played with ooVoo which I like a lot but the difficult bit is convincing all your contacts to switch over from Skype ...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:44:14 PM by joiwind » Logged

.: I use K-Meleon - the browser you can control - but I love Pale Moon too :.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »

Good luck with that. "It's only as good as the network it's on - and who's on the network," as the saying goes.
Consider Facebook. Despite the large number of people who hate it, look how many are still forced to use it for no reason other than the fact that their friends/family/fans/clients are all on it - and won't switch to G+ or something similar.

I've been trying to get my friends to switch over to a Farnsworth:

Good luck with that too!

Never underestimate the power of inertia. Grin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:56:09 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
joiwind
Participant

carpe momentum

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »

Good luck with that. "It's only as good as the network it's on - and who's on the network," as the saying goes.
Consider Facebook. Despite the large number of people who hate it, look how many are still forced to use it for no reason other than the fact that their friends/family/fans/clients are all on it - and won't switch to G+ or something similar.

Never underestimate the power of inertia. Grin

Inertia makes the world go round  Wink

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »

^ Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
mahesh2k
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

Same can be said for Google Voice or any google service. Almost every such service is monitored by Big B here in my country.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »

I have played with ooVoo which I like a lot but the difficult bit is convincing all your contacts to switch over from Skype ...

Why ooVoo? Or, what makes you think that they don't spy on you as well? (I'm curious - I've not really looked into ooVoo much.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
joiwind
Participant

carpe momentum

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:58:28 AM »

Why ooVoo? Or, what makes you think that they don't spy on you as well? (I'm curious - I've not really looked into ooVoo much.)

In fact I don't think they (ooVoo) don't spy on me too - it comes down the old question :

either
1) they spy on everyone (possible)
2) or they spy on most-popular media (probable)
3) if not 1) then 2) in which case use a less-popular media like ooVoo

Will we ever know ?

(I'm rambling .... )

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »

Now that I think of this, would it be that hard (from a technical point of view) to encrypt voip calls in a similar way to how gtalk can be encrypted?
Also, can other clients access skype's network or does it only work with skype's client (and facebook's?) ?

daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »

Same can be said for Google Voice or any google service. Almost every such service is monitored by Big B here in my country.

This made me imagine conversations are being monitored by Amitabh Bachchan (also known as Big B) for movie ideas. Wink
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »

When will overdubbed ads start appearing on Skype based on your conversations content?

Oh I forgot it is MS - they would probably advertise something completely irrelevant - but they know you should want!

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

This made me imagine conversations are being monitored by Amitabh Bachchan (also known as Big B) for movie ideas. Wink
cheesy

Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:32:57 AM »

... and Skype for Linux hit ver. 4.0 only just last month.  I'll give it a shot, I suppose.  Couldn't hurt after waiting MORE THAN 3 FECKING YEARS to get out of 2.2 Beta.

Google's Talk plugin doesn't work for me at all; first I log into gmail and hit the "Call Phone" link which brings up a dial pad, which has a link that says "Please download the voice plugin to make a call." (I have already downloaded and installed the plugin). I hit the link and it brings up a new tab with Gmail and a dial pad that says "Please download the voice plugin to make a call.".
 huh Deja Vu, man...
The terminal output is just as puzzling:

Oovoo, huh?  I'll take a look...

Whole lotta NOPE right there... ohmy

Trouble is, there really is no real alternative right now.  Sure, there's a few hopefuls, but for most of the world Skype IS video chat, just like Google IS the internet, Facebook IS social networking, Microsoft IS computers, etc, etc...  To get folks to give up on Skype and get on Oovoo or SIP or whatever will take a very large crowbar, which no other VOIP/Video Chat service/app has at the moment.
The only way I see it happening is if Microsoft royally screws it up and makes folks drop it en masse at around the same a viable competitor appears, much like when Firefox started getting popular around the same time that IE was really getting on people's nerves.
Right now, I don't see that happening.  Sad

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
joiwind
Participant

carpe momentum

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »

Skype's "Right of reply" : Skype wiretap analysis and Skype blog

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.16 ]