topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linkman save methodology  (Read 3331 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Linkman save methodology
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:41 AM »
Hi,

Many of you, like me, probably use Linkman as an all-purpose PIM and information repository, as well as bookmarks.  There is one behaviour I noticed that I want to discuss with the Donationcoder experts.

Linkman has a method of saving to backup files with extensions like .ba0, .ba1, etc.  And this is very helpful for giving you access to a recent copy in case of things like a crash.  You have flexibility as to the frequency of the saves, I choose about 10 minutes, not after every add.

What I find perplexing is that the main file .lmd often is behind the .ba_ files when you reopen Linkman after crashes (this can be a Windows forced reboot, or an occasional Linkman lockup) ... and maybe, at times,  even after exiting the program normally.

What I do in that case, if I remember the problem, is go to the backup files in Total Commander, see which is the biggest ( ba0 ) and then rename the .lmd file to .aaa (or anything) and rename the .ba0 file to .lmd .  Thus I have data that is up-to-date.

However, this seems strange to me, that the .lmd file gets so far behind. That it is not updated at the time of the saves. I've discussed this a bit with Thomas from Linkman, without succeeding in getting him to agree that this is unusual.  Now there may be a problem updating the .lmd file which is in memory, that is a techie question. However, do a test, sometimes I think the problem even exists on normal "exits" (at least it has seemed that way to me), where there is not a memory issue.

So your experiences and perspective is welcome. 
Am I missing something ? Is there something that should be improved ?

Thanks.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linkman save methodology
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:50 AM »
Steven, as discussed in the email, save works like this:

database.ba1 is renamed to database .ba2
database.ba0 is renamed to database .ba1
database.lmd is renamed to database .ba0

this happens before writing anything.

then the new database.lmd is written.

In case of a system crash/file system error, the .lmd file could be smaller than .ba0 file if the .lmd file was not written correctly/to the end.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linkman save methodology
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Hi,

I really have not had the problem mentioned above for a few months.
Why I had it before is a puzzle, but one that for now can sit in the dustbin of history.  

Steven