topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screen Calipers is currently free  (Read 17073 times)

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screen Calipers is currently free
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Just noticed this.
http://www.bitsdujou...are/screen-calipers/
Pretty useful little program    8)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screen Calipers is currently free
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Thanks - I wonder why it doesn't show up in the "All Deals" or "Free Deals" pages?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Thanks - I wonder why it doesn't show up in the "All Deals" or "Free Deals" pages?

I noticed that too... and I'll ditto the thanks.  Have wanted something like this for a while, but it was a little pricey...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:04 PM »
a couple of people have said that Screen Calipers had difficulties on 64-bit Win 7. One said he solved the problem, by installing new video drivers.

For the record: I have Screen -Calipers -Compass -Protractor and -Shapes, on 64-bit Win 7, with no problems. All purchased on offers.

Notice that the key normally is a lifetime key (I upgraded from version 3 to version 4 for free), but I wonder if this fine giveaway also includes a lifetime key.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Has anyone downloaded and installed from this offer? I'm wondering because I remember awhile back some sites had "free" stuff but it was only free if you purchased like 2 programs or some other jazz.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:29 PM »
I purchased, but haven't installed- but it gave me a key as normal for iconico apps.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:45 PM »
I just went through the install.  Seems legit. For me it may be useful for measuring elements inside windows/forms.  But for window dimensions I wrote a hotkey that gives window width height and left top.  Another hotkey changes a window to the saved width height. I have to look it over to make sure I check the target "set" window frame is resizeable before I post on my site.

They had a review on Softpedia. Major complaint was rotating the caliper. I just tried it and it felt very awkward.  But for free I'll take it. :)

edit: I used a hotmail email for registration and there wasn't any issue. "Unlock" after install succeeded.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44 PM »
I can see that artistically the caliper thing looks cool. But I think a more utilitarian design would be a cross with multiple jaws. That would minimize rotation.

It's apparent from the graphic below that I can't draw. But it gives the idea.  The read-out would be in the middle. Also since it's on a computer screen and is not a physical tool, there's no need for the "frame" to be as large as the jaws can be extended. Just have broken line animation while dragging.

cross.jpg

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19 PM »
-your concerns on the offer itself surprises me. But of course you may not have noticed that Iconico who makes Screen Calipers, is the same company that operates Bits du Jour.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Great find - includes updates 'for the life of the product' ...

After you make a purchase of this BitsDuJour discount promotion, Screen Calipers may be used indefinitely.
Screen Calipers is licensed per computer, and not per user.
Transfer of a license to another owned computer is allowed.
License activation isn't required. what's this?
Upgrades to future versions of the software will be free for the lifetime of the product.
Support is provided for the lifetime of the product.
30 days return policy.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:22 PM »
-your concerns on the offer itself surprises me. But of course you may not have noticed that Iconico who makes Screen Calipers, is the same company that operates Bits du Jour.

Everything went fine, as I posted later. Must be the download button had the same look as some rip-off site where I'd get three links in only to find I was wasting my time.  Could be they just used the same graphic for the button.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 06:55 AM »
a couple of people have said that Screen Calipers had difficulties on 64-bit Win 7. One said he solved the problem, by installing new video drivers.

For the record: I have Screen -Calipers -Compass -Protractor and -Shapes, on 64-bit Win 7, with no problems. All purchased on offers.

+1 - I've been using Screen Calipers (v1.0 and up) for years on x64 XP/03/Vista/7 and never had a problem with.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Looks like Screen Calipers is free again (if you missed it last time).
I found it here:  http://www.bitsdujou...-shapes-and-controls
Scroll down to the "Frequently bought together" suggestions. 
(you haveto "like" the iconico facebook page to get the freebie)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 09:17 AM »
(you haveto "like" the iconico facebook page to get the freebie)

BDJ always have a short questionnaire as an alternative to FB.

Click on 'Buy Now'.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 12:57 PM »

+1 - I've been using Screen Calipers (v1.0 and up) for years on x64 XP/03/Vista/7 and never had a problem with.

Is Screen Calipers similar to a pixel ruler?   :tellme:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 01:07 PM »

Is Screen Calipers similar to a pixel ruler?   :tellme:

Same measure size in pixels concept but SC is considerably more versatile. Mind you this is based on an ~7sec analysis of PR because I'd never heard of it before. But the caliper style and digital readout of SC just makes it to handy for me to look at alternatives (never fix what works).

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Same measure size in pixels concept but SC is considerably more versatile.

I know what versatile means... but what do you mean?  Does it have free rotation?  Not just horizontal and vertical?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 01:30 PM »

I know what versatile means... but what do you mean?  Does it have free rotation?  Not just horizontal and vertical?
Yes, it has free rotation. It also - via creatable/changeable skins - allows the caliper jaw length/size/shape to be modified.

Versatile enough? :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 01:44 PM »

Yes, it has free rotation. It also - via creatable/changeable skins - allows the caliper jaw length/size/shape to be modified.

For some applications, I guess, but I don't think I ever needed to measure pixels diagonally.   ;D
Is this all Screen Calipers does?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 03:57 PM »

For some applications, I guess, but I don't think I ever needed to measure pixels diagonally.   ;D
Is this all Screen Calipers does?

I didn't either think I would either until I ran into some odd shaped stuff that required diagonal measurements. And basically yes, but it does it very well.

If you're not worried about the diagonal stuff, v1 is still (freeware) available for download if you dig a bit.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I didn't either think I would either until I ran into some odd shaped stuff that required diagonal measurements. And basically yes, but it does it very well.

If you're not worried about the diagonal stuff, v1 is still (freeware) available for download if you dig a bit.

If that's all it does it should do it well.  I was just fishing for info, from a trusted source, about Screen Calipers.   :)
That way I wouldn't have to download and compare it to what I already have.  PicPick.  Freeware.  Updated 02-15-14

It has a pixel ruler, along with other useful stuff but no calipers.  I use the Screen Capture (sorry Mouser) and Protractor the most.
Handy little tool to load at start-up and have sitting quietly in the tray.   8)