ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

1080p playback: hardware discussion

<< < (3/6) > >>

f0dder:
If you're only going to be doing media playback, why on earth are you even considering a HTPC?

Go for a WD TV Live or Boxee or whatever. Cheaper, smaller, quieter (et cetera) than anything you can build yourself. My WD TV Live draws around 9W of power, plays back 720p .mkv files over wireless 802.11n without a hitch, and can handle pretty much anything I've thrown at it, included a variety of external subtitle files. Haven't tested it with 1080p yet, but the hardware should be capable (dunno if it's possible wirelessly though).

To give you a sense of size, here's a snapshop of my 32" SONY TV and the WD-TV:
1080p playback: hardware discussion

superboyac:
Because I don't like to buy ready-made appliances.  I don't just watch the TV; I run experiments.  I experiment with different playback software, different mouse control things.  I'm going to try doing some things with XBMC.  I'd like to load different OS's possibly and try certain things with that.  I absolutely hate buying non-tweakable things like this.  It's boring.  For 20 years now, I have yet to be bored with desktop computer.  I've gotten bored very quickly with laptops, ipads, other tablets, phones, etc.  Never with the real deal computer.

Remember: I'm the guy who wanted to buy a windows netbook to use as an alarm clock.

f0dder:
Ah well, you'll end up paying more, wasting power, and getting an inferior product that also takes up more space in your apartment - your choice :)

superboyac:
Ah well, you'll end up paying more, wasting power, and getting an inferior product that also takes up more space in your apartment - your choice :)
-f0dder (September 12, 2012, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree with the first two, but in what way is it inferior?  And how much power am I wasting?

40hz:
How about XBMC on a Raspberry Pi?

The MPEG-2 license will only cost an additional $3.79. And the VC-1 codec costs $1.90. And that's for registered fully legal use. Read more here.

I plan on running OpenELEC on mine - if I ever get it. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version