ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Sticky window-specific reading guide.

(1/2) > >>

kunkel321:
I've been a long time fan of Mike Lin's excellent Cross Hair app http://www.mlin.net/CrossHair.shtml
I find that about 80% of the time, I'm using it as a reading guide on a webpage or on a CHM help file for an app.  When this is the case, I want it to be present only on the given window, not the entire screen.
In the image http://i.imgur.com/KJiRl.png I'm reading item #2 in this help file.  I'd like the reading guide (which I've drawn as a gray rectangle) to be associated with this window so that it is only visible over the given window.  If I click away from the window (see bottom of image) to work on another window, I want the reading guide to stay in place with the assigned (now inactive) window.  It would be like a placeholder for my reading, but also would stay out of my way.

Does that make sense and/or seem like a good idea?   

barney:
Stationary hotkey: press to make the crosshairs remain fixed at your mouse cursor's current location. The default stationary hotkey is Control+1. (The 1 key is adjacent to Backtick on most keyboards.)

That will take care of one (1) item.  Cant help with the window limit - might try contacting Mike - he's generally pretty helpful.

Target:
how about this...

IDEA:  Sticky window-specific reading guide.

runs in the background, and applies a 'cross hair' to the nominated window (only).  'Cross hairs' are hidden when that window is not active

Hotkey WIN+F1 toggles the 'cross hairs' on and off, ie to switch to another window/application, activate that window then toggle the hotkey off then on again.

Hotkey WIN+Right Mouse Button 'freezes the 'cross hairs'

Hotkey WIN+X to exit

barney:
how about this...
 (see attachment in previous post)
runs in the background, and applies a 'cross hair' to the nominated window (only).  'Cross hairs' are hidden when that window is not active

Hotkey WIN+F1 toggles the 'cross hairs' on and off, ie to switch to another window/application, activate that window then toggle the hotkey off then on again.

Hotkey WIN+Right Mouse Button 'freezes the 'cross hairs'

Hotkey WIN+X to exit
-Target (August 01, 2012, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

That works reasonably well.  First tried it in Windows Explorer ... went full screen.  After a moment's reflection, that makes sense, since explorer is the desktop  :-[ ;D.

Tried it again in Firefox ... worked just fine.  However, those lines are just a bit too fine for these old eyes.  Guess I could go in and play with it, since the .ahk file is part of the download.  Have to make the hotkeys adjustable - I hate hotkeys  :o - since those are occupied on my system.

Target:

That works reasonably well.  First tried it in Windows Explorer ... went full screen.  After a moment's reflection, that makes sense, since explorer is the desktop  :-[ ;D.

Tried it again in Firefox ... worked just fine.  However, those lines are just a bit too fine for these old eyes.  Guess I could go in and play with it, since the .ahk file is part of the download.  Have to make the hotkeys adjustable - I hate hotkeys  :o - since those are occupied on my system.
-barney (August 01, 2012, 09:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

it will only go full screen if the nominated window is also full screen - if you resize the window, then the cross hair window will resize to match

EDIT: I just tested this and it goes full screen on the desktop. :huh:  Window spy reports the desktop (in Win7) as 'program manager', so I assume that would explain the behaviour (kind of...)

hotkeys are very personal, so by all means change them.  This was a first cut, so I expected some feedback (I rarely use any of the snacks I do so I tend to re-use a standard set of hotkeys)

not sure if there's much you can do about the thickness of the lines.  This is really a kludge using group boxes, and I'm pretty sure there's not much scope for customising them.  

Actually, you can add a v e r y long literal (eg 5000 asterix) to the horizontal control.  This would be thicker than the controls outline, but should't be obtrusive (at least it looks OK ish on my desktop at 1680 X 1050)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version