ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PowerPwn: Power strip by day, Hacking device by night!

(1/5) > >>

Josh:

As a pen testing enthusiast, this device is high on my "Awesome stuff-o-meter".

The Power Pwn may look like an ordinary power strip, maybe with an included surge protector, but it's far from it. Network administrators and IT staff in general need to be wary of this one: it can do much more than meets the eye.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)'s Cyber Fast Track program helped funded the development of the Power Pwn. Pwnie Express, which developed the $1,295 gizmo, says it's "a fully-integrated enterprise-class penetration testing platform." That's great, but the company also notes its "ingenious form-factor" (again, look at the above picture) and "highly-integrated/modular hardware design," which to me translates to: it's the perfect tool for hacking a corporate network.
--- End quote ---

Source

40hz:
I don't know which part is more clever. The device itself - or the fact some enterprising contractor suckered the US government into shelling out $1,295 apiece for a device that should sell for something more like $400-$600 worst case.

I'll bet it runs some flavor of Linux and violates GPL too! ;D

"a fully-integrated enterprise-class penetration testing platform."
-Josh (July 22, 2012, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Question: If it's a "testing platform" why did they feel the need go to such lengths to disguise its appearance? :P

There's no rest for the wicked...8)

Josh:
It runs debian 6, as is mentioned at the source ;-)

40hz:
It runs debian 6, as is mentioned at the source ;-)
-Josh (July 22, 2012, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! ;D  Good choice of distro btw. :Thmbsup:

r0bert0:
another guy made something similar, but for the price you will like better, i think it was 700 bucks (:

thats da thing:

http://www.demyo.com/products/demyo-power-strip/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version