ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why Windows 8 Made Me Sell Microsoft (MSFT)

<< < (2/2)

superboyac:
^^Good sh--, 40.

Carol Haynes:
Don't forget that corporate clients have licenses that allow them to update tot he latest version of Windows. I presume that MS includes them in the business sales stats - even though they don't actually upgrade

TaoPhoenix:

I guess I'm lost from the business perspective. My knowledge of this area is kinda fuzzy but here goes:

If you have a stock that is *under-valued* then you keep/buy more because in the "perfect info world" you'll make money when the price catches up to the value.

Selling a stock is what you do when you think it is *over-valued* before the rest of the stock world figures out whatever perspective you're looking at.

What's funny is this is like the opposite of insider trading. With a little exaggeration, Window 8 Metro vs the iPad is the Meta-Game. Everyone else is doing Not-Windows-Not-iPad things. I haven't seen this much hype since the old Longhorn days. So if the Anti-Metro crowd is busy sending warning signs, this is feeling like a card game with some BIG cards not yet played. It feels like MS is trying to draw the pieces into a poker Straight, which would either win the hand or be a giant pile of Nothing.

40hz:
It feels like MS is trying to draw the pieces into a poker Straight,
-TaoPhoenix (July 23, 2012, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

To me it feels more like they're trying to bluff by raising on a busted flush...  ;D :Thmbsup:

zridling:
Based on Microsoft's history, you'd expect the scenario 40hz described to play itself out once again. But why try to force Metro's square pegs into the PC's round holes? Sure, you can switch to a more traditional desktop, but that's not the default, and we all know how defaults get treated (as the norm). Frankly, to mimic Apple, Microsoft doesn't have the hardware chops to do so. And when they do, they're always late to the game. They announced their Surface tablets to decent press, but revealed little other details, viz., pricing. And those Surface tablets won't hit the market for a while, no matter how fast they are.

Meanwhile, if you're like me and a million others, you checked out that nifty little Nexus 7 tablet and found it to be far better, smoother, and faster than I ever thought. I have a great 10-inch tablet, but I want a Nexus 7 because I truly could comfortably take it anywhere -- the car, the family trip, the waiting rooms, sitting next to the TV, etc. Thus once Microsoft's Surface tabs do arrive, the market will be saturated with yet another tablet that many will be happy with, leaving them begging for attention. And I know they're not going to sell them for under $500, given the Ivy Bridge hardware inside.

Point is, it's been a wasted decade for Microsoft, and if I did have stock, I'd be dumping it. I'd need no other reason than the common joke throughout the decade has been Steve Ballmer. The man has no vision, and he seems proud of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version