ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New cross-platform Vector app [looking for your support]

<< < (3/6) > >>

tomos:
^ that's why I'm doing my little bit to promote this one - in the hopes that it will follow in Freehand's footsteps...

Quasado are looking for support for this project. Simply following or liking will be of benefit - impress the investors :-)
Donations are also welcome though ;-)

Follow on twitter http://twitter.com/
Like on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/quasado
or donate http://www.stagestack.com/
-tomos (January 09, 2013, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
What about Xara Designer Pro as a competitor to Illustrator?

Blindingly fast and easy to use with lots of native import options (including Freehand 3).

40hz:
^Xara is a fine product (it's what I currently use by default) but it's not as intuitive and fluid-feeling as Freehand was.

With Xara I often have to stop and think or consult a help file. With Freehand everything (for me) "just worked" the way I expected it to. The bezier tools were especially well done as were the fit text to curve functions. Although in fairness Xara has web design features that Freehand couldn't have dreamed of since it was gone well before the web really took off.

For $299 USD Xara Pro is a good choice for those of us that just can't get comfortable with Adobe Illustrator. If you don't need the workflow features Adobe CS provides (which is where CS really shines and makes sense in a production environment) , Xara is well worth checking out. Older versions of the Photo/Designer version are often available for free download when Xara is running a promotion. They also offer decent discounts and upgrade deals.
 :Thmbsup:

tomos:
What about Xara Designer Pro as a competitor to Illustrator?

Blindingly fast and easy to use with lots of native import options (including Freehand 3).
-Carol Haynes (January 09, 2013, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

From what I've heard (about two years ago now though...), older versions only offered CMYK colour when exporting a file, i.e. one couldnt work with CMYK colours and see it in progress. I dont know if this is still the case(?) Otherwise it has a very good reputation, but pros seem to mainly avoid it so far (which doesnt mean anything much btw).
One thing that makes me wary is the fact it does so much! But obviously that wouldnt stop me trying it :) I'm not looking to buy anything at the moment, but I would certainly try Xara before moving to Illustrator (which I have but almost never use).

40hz:
one couldnt work with CMYK colours and see it in progress.
-tomos (January 09, 2013, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It now has CMYK onscreen preview and does seps.

One thing that makes me wary is the fact it does so much!
-tomos (January 09, 2013, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree there. Illustrator is a cleaner and "purer" app. It's also an industry standard so agencies and commercial print shops are used to working with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version