ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Strange Windows Explorer problem - anyone know how to fix this?

<< < (3/5) > >>

cmpm:
Windows Explorer is the problem I believe.
If you highlight the file first, let the icon and info load at the bottom of Windows Explorer.
It will work better and faster on right clicking the file and double clicking to open.
Seems to be slow until it sees the file fully.

Carol Haynes:
Unfortunately the problem was that as soon as you clicked the file the spinning ball appeared and didn't stop - you had to kill explorer to get control back.

40hz:
Trouble is I am not sure what generated the files - I need to find out before changing the folder structure too much.
-Carol Haynes (July 20, 2012, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any possibility of checking the options/settings in each app (or the config or INF files) to see if you can identify which directories they're writing files to?

Cloq:
Unfortunately the problem was that as soon as you clicked the file the spinning ball appeared and didn't stop - you had to kill explorer to get control back.
-Carol Haynes (July 20, 2012, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm.. drop to command line and try deleting files/folders? Hold Shift and right-click and choose "Open command window here". Make sure to do this on an empty area in the folder and not on the offending file or folder.

If you haven't tried, boot to safe mode and see if you can delete the folders.

J-Mac:
A possible cause: I have noticed that Windows Explorer trips up over anything I try to do with any of the Microsoft Office files IF the Office Software Protection thing is running. Look in Event Viewer and you'll see (if you have Office installed - at least with Office 2010) that the Office Software Protection Platform Service runs every few hours. I have found a correlation with that running at the same time I do anything with an Office file. Hangs explorer.exe.

Worth a look.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version