ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Strange Windows Explorer problem - anyone know how to fix this?

(1/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
When Windows Explorer opens the Documents library (on Win 7 x64) everything appears normal but there are some files that when you double click to open them they cause Windows Explorer to freeze and you have to use task manager to restart Explorer.

Oddly it doesn't seem to be file type specific and there don't seem to be any problems if you are working in subfolders of Documents.

Never come across this before.

Initially I ran CHKDSK on the drives where the Documents library folders are located and it made no difference.

It could be a Shell Extension issue but why are only some non typ-specific files affected and only in the Documents folder root? I would expect a shell extension problem to affect all specific file types.

4wd:
I know you said it's different file types but what happens if you run the relevant program and load the file from within it?

Also, have you checked the properties of the files to make sure the access permissions are OK?

oblivion:
When Windows Explorer opens the Documents library (on Win 7 x64) everything appears normal but there are some files that when you double click to open them they cause Windows Explorer to freeze and you have to use task manager to restart Explorer.
-Carol Haynes (July 20, 2012, 04:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Could it be an AV issue? Something doing realtime scanning on certain files in certain locations, perhaps, that might need its behaviour tweaked?

Carol Haynes:
Seem to be mostly MS office files (but seems random which ones cause the problem). I have run a Repair install of Office 2007 which should fix file associations etc. just rechecking now.

I used ShellExView to disable all non-MS shell extensions and that didn't fix it

Just running SFC /SCANNOW

The annoying thing is the only logged error is Windows Explorer stopped interacting with Windows - doesn't give any clue why. It says look in the Action Center for futher info and that says there are no issues!

Could it be an AV issue? Something doing realtime scanning on certain files in certain locations, perhaps, that might need its behaviour tweaked?
-oblivion (July 20, 2012, 05:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Using Microsoft Security Essentials - so shouldn't be an issue and it isn't running a system scan at the moment.

jgpaiva:
Just to clarify: is it reproducible? If you try to open the same file again, does it crash again?

How about opening it through another way? (run dialog, farr?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version