ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new DVD "M-Disc" perfect for archive material

<< < (7/9) > >>

myarmor:
Now... about QR codes... It's a completely silly concept (qualified below). There's no way that anyone is going to be running around town and see some QR code and think to themselves, "Hey! I need to go and find out what that bizarre looking squiggly square is, then look for software than can decrypt it for me so that I can try and find some web site..." JFC... That's total insanity. QR can only work if it is pre-installed on all (or most) devices. Nobody cares about funky squares. They're meaningless wastes of space for most people. That is... Until it reaches past critical penetration, which it is very far from right now. (Yeah... I tend to piss on stuff early... I know...) But we've already seen this fail several times before. The QR code thing is just the new kid on the block, and he'll get his black eyes as well before long. (Unless there is serious industry intervention.)

That is, adding in an additional layer before people can get to the data is simply too much to ask. (Yes - I know what I just said, and the implications, but the installable software question is an entirely different level of commitment on the part of the recipient.)
-Renegade (July 19, 2012, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a bit OT, but I had to arrest you regarding the QR codes.
They're not exactly new, invented in Japan in 1994 by Toyota subsidiary Denso Wave to track vehicles during manufacturing,
registered with AIM since 1997, ISO (something) since 2000, and readers exists for just about anything
symbian, android, iphone, pc, in addition to specialized readers etc.

Nowadays it's either included or freely available to just about anything portable which has a camera.
Basically, I think QR codes is almost as well known as barcodes now, just that the man in the street can actually use the former, and QR codes can provide alot more information.

ewemoa:
LG sends all their reject to this part of the world.
-Shades (July 20, 2012, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hope the following digression will be tolerated :)

I have started to suspect that some companies that distribute to multiple countries have measurements per-country (may be even more specific?) of what level of quality they can deliver to which country.  If you produce a lot of products and can measure such things, it seems like an obvious thing to at least consider.  (I was just chatting the other day with someone who hasn't had problems with HDDs for years, but has had awful experience with optical media, whereas, the reverse situation has been true for me for approximately the last decade.)

If any one has sources of information regarding this, please share.

(FWIW, my personal experience with the LG burner I got recently has been quite good so far.)

ewemoa:
Especially if they can get the disc capacity up to dual layer at least.
-40hz (July 20, 2012, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, regarding this point, some of the comments in blog posts at the M-Disc maker's site seem to indicate they are considering Blu-ray:

http://millenniata.com/2011/08/31/nasa-tech-briefs-examines-the-m-disc-technology/#comments

It would have the same characteristics and lifespan as the M-DISC now. But, we do not have plans to launch a Blu-ray version that early. Larger capacity will come, but we are still working towards that endeavor. When we have solid information we will share it!

--- End quote ---

http://millenniata.com/2011/08/24/millenniata-partners-with-hitachi-lg-data-storage/#comments

We are working on Blue-Ray M-DISCs that will be capable of more storage. We definitely see the 4.7 GB as a weakness and are actively working to make our product better, especially in that regard. As we get further along with new technology we will be sure to let you all know about it!

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the note about the odors -- hadn't picked up on that.

40hz:
^Interesting. Looking at Amazon here, it seems to imply that LG's drive is already capable of doing Blu-Ray burns. I guess it's just a matter of waiting for Blue-Ray M-Disc media.

5 will get you 10 the delay has more to do with hammering out a license arrangement with Sony than anything else. ;D

ewemoa:
I hope you're right about the issue being that of licensing and that that is taken care of easily...may be LG drives can get a firmware upgrade (or perhaps they are already capable...)

A minor point -- I know one of the things quoted used the term "Blue-Ray", but I think it's officially "Blu-ray" :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version