ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new DVD "M-Disc" perfect for archive material

<< < (6/9) > >>

40hz:
I alway worry about "single source" technology.

For backups and archives I prefer an industry standard technology - ideally an open sourced one just in case the original developer folds - or as is more common, gets bought out and is then pulled from the market.

Renegade:

For backups and archives I prefer an industry standard technology - ideally an open sourced one just in case the original developer folds - or as is more common, gets bought out and is then pulled from the market.
-40hz (July 20, 2012, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

True, but with M-Discs, you only lose the ability to write, not read, so that's a small consolation.

40hz:

-40hz (July 20, 2012, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

True, but with M-Discs, you only lose the ability to write, not read, so that's a small consolation.
-Renegade (July 20, 2012, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. Unless you're an idiot like me who tends to stockpile backup media in advance for a client and then gets stuck with 100 or so virgin disks they can no longer write to. Ouch! ;D

And it does have DoD certification for use under 'extreme' conditions, so that counts for something.

And to your earlier point about LG drives I'll concur 100%. They've worked well for me too. And at <$100 for the writer, and ~$3 per M-disc, it makes for an attractive price/benefit ratio. Especially if they can get the disc capacity up to dual layer at least. And it really is as permanent as they say it is.

I did notice some reviewers mentioned m-discs give off an odd odor that smells something like film developer. Since film developer contains phenols and benzene (which give it that characteristic smell) I wonder if whatever is causing that odor might have the potential to cause damage to other media if stored in the same cabinet...

Renegade:
It's always a balance of needs and costs.

Given the super-cheapness of the M-Disc, and the long life, and the unlikelihood of the DVD/Blu-ray format dying in the next decade, it seems like a pretty good solution at the moment. Something better may come along, but until then, it looks reasonable.

I do share your hesitance when it comes to the proprietary nature... That's a bit tough to choke down, but really, most hardware is like that. It's really only software where you can get openness. That's changing, but...

Shades:
LG sends all their reject to this part of the world. A week after I burn a disc on my LG drive I am not sure if I can still read the disc in my drive...while it is working in others.
Lets just say that I am not a fan (and that would be the understatement of the year...globally!)  :mad:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version