ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new DVD "M-Disc" perfect for archive material

<< < (3/9) > >>

IainB:
I wonder if the data backed-up onto M-Discs would survive uncorrupted after an EMP (Electomagnetic Pulse) from a nuclear bomb?
In the event of WW3, the paranoid archivist would presumably hope that all his backup data was intact.    :P

Renegade:
Have to wonder too if disc technology will die out completely as vlastimil says.
-tomos (July 19, 2012, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

vlastimil has a very good point, but I think that's just one perspective, i.e. storage for personal use.

Like, who here wants to go out and buy an HDD so that you can put data on it and hand it to someone to keep?

Optical storage, or "mini-storage" (be it Flash/NAND/whatever), will always have a place because you can buy physically separated storage. While the total storage cost may be the same as for an HDD (or SSD or NAND), you have discrete pieces that you can hand out to people. e.g. Burn 20 discs then go to a meeting and hand them out to people, or whatever. The point being that you can distribute the physical media to different people.

So, again, it all boils down to what you want to do and what your specific needs are. Need a decent amount of storage like 2 TB? Get an external HDD. Need more? Get a NAS. Need to distribute 500 MB to 50 people? Get optical discs.

vlastimil:
I believe services like gmail/dropbox/rapidshare trumph CDs/DVDs for distribution purposes. If I distribute a piece of paper with a link or a QR code, people will be able to access it from their PC, phone or tablet without needing a DVD reader. 500MB is piece of cake these days.

What I would love to see is something like a data crystal from Star Trek. Something that is functional, you can carry it in your pocket AND is beautiful or stylish. Burned DVDs don't even work as presents, because they look cheap (compare them to a classic vinyl LPs!).

Stoic Joker:
I'm with vlastimil, this is like planning for the future of a dead horse.

But I do have to wonder, what is the shelf-life expectancy (for cloudless offline storage) of the data on various other types of media?

tomos:
But I do have to wonder, what is the shelf-life expectancy (for cloudless offline storage) of the data on various other types of media?
-Stoic Joker (July 19, 2012, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was wondering myself about SD cards - if they're rarely used, would they be suitable for archiving. The format looks like it's going to be there for the foreseeable future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version