ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new DVD "M-Disc" perfect for archive material

<< < (2/9) > >>

daddydave:
The M-Disc shares the same size, shape and 4.7GB capacity of a DVD, and indeed can be read by any standard DVD drive, yet Millenniata says this special disc “cannot be overwritten, erased, or corrupted by natural processes”.
--- End quote ---

For that, you need kids. As the first comment says:

All very well and good but I get the impression they can still be surface damaged with scratches etc or shattered like normal DVDs if not handled correctly, so they are still not child or clumsy adult proof. So please can you try this with your labs sample and report back

--- End quote ---

Still, it is definite progress which is good to see.

vlastimil:
I have stopped using CDs and DVDs years ago - I have no DVD burner in my current computer. The cost per GB is equal for a big HDD and DVDs. HDD it is definitely faster (especially when you include the time needed to find the damn DVD), occupies a much smaller space (1 3.5" HDD vs 600 DVD - that's a full bookcase) and is easily rewritable. I see no future for these fragile "discs" no matter how long are they supposed to last. The technology is dead.

ewemoa:
It sounds like a neat idea, but I've read a few reviews that reported difficulty with successfully ending up with usable burned M-Discs.

Below is one of the reviews I came across:

http://www.amazon.com/M-DISC-DVD-Cake-Box-Pack/product-reviews/B005Y4NKE0/

I think there was one other, but I'm not turning it up at the moment.

I'd be happy if this technology managed to work reliably, develops a larger capacity per media, and sticks around -- but I'm not too hopeful of affordable reliable off-line storage though (difficulty imagining enough consumer demand with recent developments in the areas of tablets and network-based storage)...

What I've come to suspect is that depending on where you live in the world, the reliability of certain technologies seems to vary a fair bit.  I used to have no problems with HDDs at all, but some time in the last decade I moved to another country...in the new environment, I've had 4-5 failures of HDDs, so at least here, I don't trust HDDs with my data at all.  (I thought quality had just gone down overall, but from talking to some other folks, I hear they still seem to have few problems.)  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to leave much that's relatively simple to work with -- multiple copies on optical media is what I've come to depend on, but that technology seems to be dying in many areas of the world...I wouldn't be too surprised if in the not-too-distant future, it won't be affordable to have significant quantities of offline data.

mouser:
nice find.

tomos:
Below is one of the reviews I came across:

http://www.amazon.com/M-DISC-DVD-Cake-Box-Pack/product-reviews/B005Y4NKE0/
-ewemoa (July 19, 2012, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
in fairness,
that sounds like it could well be a problem with the burner he's using, rather than the discs.

Looks like you can get an M-Disc burner for $80 or so.

Not too bad. Disks are around $4 each for 5, then $2.90 each for 25.
-Renegade (July 19, 2012, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
-
all seem to be at least double the price in europe (I cant even find a simple DVD burner from the company itself, so it's hard to compare properly). Makes it less attractive at the moment anyway.

Have to wonder too if disc technology will die out completely as vlastimil says.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version