ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new DVD "M-Disc" perfect for archive material

<< < (9/9)

Tinman57:

I'm still waiting on the "Crystal Drives" they've been working on.  Like a thumb drive but it has memory crystals that is supposed to hold a huge amount of data all while doing it quite swiftly.  But they will probably wait until they've milked today's technology for all it's worth before it becomes available.
  I read about these crystal memory chips a couple years back, I think it was IBM that was exploring the technology, but I'm not positive.

kyrathaba:
A couple of years ago we heard about a curious method of storing data that uses “monolithic glass space-variant polarization converters,” with wild promises of storing our media in five dimensions. Now it’s a reality. Or rather, the concept has been successfully demonstrated with real data. Living up to stereotype, the scientists at the University of Southamptonsaved a PDF file inside the glass. And yes, all five of the promised dimensions were used, which include the usual three, plus axis orientation and “birefringence” — a quality of refracted light. Thanks to how the data is stored, the glass “disc” used has a potential capacity of 360 TB, can withstand temperatures of 1,000 degrees Centigrade, and, unlike magnetic or flash media, won’t deteriorate with age. The “Superman memory crystal” — as it’s dubbed — isn’t commercially available just yet, but that team are seeking industry partners to help expedite that process.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/07/glassdiscawjt.jpg

Tinman57:
Important to note that you have to buy a special DVD burner "the MWriter" - which doesnt seem to be easily available.

The Millenniata discs, while readable in normal DVD drives, are not writable in a
standard drive due to the proprietary firmware required to write to the Millennial disc. As
a result, there is only one drive that can be used to burn Millenniata media, the MWriter.
--- End quote ---

/from the PDF test results PDF Link.
-tomos (July 19, 2012, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

My DVD writer has a place for the M disc built in to the slide-out drawer.  I don't use them because they are only write once....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version