topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best android security app (Remote-Wipe, screenshot, etc)  (Read 6638 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am looking for a good security application for my android phones. I want the ability to remotely activate GPS, hide the GPS notification icon when tracking, remote capture screenshots and video, view SMS history and remotely wipe the device.

I am currently trying cerebus but am looking for other solutions before I purchase something like this.

Any ideas?
Josh

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best android security app (Remote-Wipe, screenshot, etc)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:51 AM »
I don't have a suggestion for you but am interested in what turns up as I recently learned that a factory reset of a device doesn't necessarily remove all data that has gotten on to a phone since its departure from the factory.

As I understand it, there is something called "factory format" (at least on some devices) which seems to do a more thorough job compared to factory reset.  I haven't yet come across a way to perform this apart from a code entered via the dialer (though presumably it is possible programmatically) -- more at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=932919

Sorry for the digression :)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:02 AM »
ewemoa, I am looking at cerebus right now. You can find info about it here: https://play.google....com.lsdroid.cerberus

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:11 PM »
I haven't managed to find out anything relevant concerning the wipe option but came across the following discussion at xda-developers:

Lost Phone Apps: Cerberus vs. others

Among other things, there was mention of another app named AndroidLost, with a link to a review:

[Mobile Security App Shootout] Android Lost (Beta): Sophisticated Security Options For The Budget-Conscious Android User

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:18 PM »
ewemoa et. al, I am looking at avast! mobile security.

This appears to be a fairly comprehensive security and antivirus/firewall solution. The security piece can be remotely controlled via sms messages and the a/v is non-intrusive and uses very little in terms of running system resources.