ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Staple of people from State and Europe !

<< < (3/12) > >>

barney:
but I do eat a lot of bread ... that I bake myself. 

Since I make it myself, I have great control over what goes into it:  no preservatives, sometimes meats, sometimes various vegetables. 
-barney (July 17, 2012, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've often wanted to do that, but I just can't get motivated enough. Cripes... I've still got this homemade beer-kit that I haven't started on the next batch with... :P
-Renegade (July 17, 2012, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

What a horrible waste of a beer-kit  :P.  Actually, making your own bread isn't all that difficult - nor time-consuming - once you get started.  Find a basic recipe on the Web (or, like me, buy half-a-dozen books  :huh: that you'll seldom use after the first few loaves).  Takes ~10-15 minutes to mix, another (unattended) 20 minutes or so to let it rise (if its a yeast bread), about an hour (unattended) to bake.  Once you've done that, got the basics, so to speak, let your imagination run wild ... almost any result will be edible  :P :P.

Edvard:
sometimes they show such lovely meals prepared in an American restaurant
--- End quote ---

And the same thing happens here when we are shown wonderful meals prepared in a French, Chinese, or Indian restaurant  :P
However, I can tell you a few things:

First of all, there probably is no such thing as a "typical" american staple or diet, as we have borrowed so much of our cuisine (and language) from the varied cultures that make up it's people.  
That said, some generalities may be found to be true; wheat and corn based products are more common than rice or other grains. Wheat in the form of loaf bread and cereals, corn as a vegetable, cereal, or an ingredient in other dishes. Meat is very common as a main dish or as part of it (except for those vegetarian among us), mostly beef, pork, chicken, and fish like tuna and cod.  Legumes (beans) and vegetables are more often considered side dishes or filler, rarely as a main dish unless you are a vegetarian or you are in the mood for a salad or bean-based dish.  Beans are seen most commonly in chili and soups.  Lettuce, green beans and peas count for the largest consumption of green vegetables, while carrots, celery, potatoes and onions make up a large part of the root vegetables. Cheese, milk, butter, and other dairy products are very common as well, and fruit is eaten most commonly as a snack or prepared as a dessert.

Growing up, I was ingrained with what I would consider a "typical American menu" of sorts, common things that are eaten at certain times of the day.
Breakfast: Eggs fried or boiled, pancakes with butter and syrup, bacon, cereal, milk (with cereal or as a separate beverage).
Lunch: Usually some sort of sandwich, soup, or salad.
Dinner: Usually a main dish that contained meat or a savory vegetable preparation, with a salad and/or vegetables on the side, and a variety of condiments to spice or flavor as desired.

This, of course, will vary by region or dominant culture in varying degrees, and many would probably disagree with me on what is a "typical" or "common" American meal.  Many Americans choose to eat at the vast variety of restaurants available, while others find satisfaction preparing at home, and still others have more of a tendency to buy pre-packaged or easy-to-prepare boxed or canned products (processed food, as Renegade described).  A dish that is common in the southwest area of the U.S. may be non-existent or uncommon in the northwest.  A family of Asian descent will also have a tendency to consume more foods common to their culture rather than what is considered common in the region they live in, it's all very relative.  

I hope I've answered your question, and not confused you even more, but the subject of food is rather a large one...  :P

4wd:
Takes ~10-15 minutes to mix, another (unattended) 20 minutes or so to let it rise (if its a yeast bread), about an hour (unattended) to bake.  Once you've done that, got the basics, so to speak, let your imagination run wild ... almost any result will be edible  :P :P.-barney (July 17, 2012, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or just dump all the ingredients in the bread-maker you got given for xmas, push the button, walk away and come back when it goes Ding!

Then after the novelty has worn off, put the bread-maker back in the box, stick in a cupboard for the last 5 years and go to the supermarket :D

barney:
Takes ~10-15 minutes to mix, another (unattended) 20 minutes or so to let it rise (if its a yeast bread), about an hour (unattended) to bake.  Once you've done that, got the basics, so to speak, let your imagination run wild ... almost any result will be edible  :P :P.-barney (July 17, 2012, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or just dump all the ingredients in the bread-maker you got given for xmas, push the button, walk away and come back when it goes Ding!

Then after the novelty has worn off, put the bread-maker back in the box, stick in a cupboard for the last 5 years and go to the supermarket :D
-4wd (July 17, 2012, 11:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that as well.  But I wore out one (1) breadmaker - a Black & Decker, I thimk (go figure) - then decided I could do better.  I did.  And do.  In the space of three (3) hours, give or take, I can give you - well, I could if you were close  ;) - just about any bread you care to designate.  You like zucchini bread?  Or (one (1) of my favourites) banana bread?  How about raisin?  Or potato (another favorite)?  How about a loaf with a ground beef or shredded pork core?

It is not all that different from writing code:  you try a lot of different systems, throw away the ones you don't like, and settle down with just one (1) or two (2), maybe a few.  I just settled for something better than that with which I started, definitely better than I could obtain commercially  :P.  More fun, healthier (usually), mostly less trouble  :-\ ;).

Oh, yeah ... I usually come back to computational task refreshed and much more attentive to what I'm doing  :P :P :P.

cmpm:
I could use some tips on what to eat to get my weight back up.
Having lost too much from 2 surgeries (4 inguinal hernias) over the past year.

Basically anything cooked, there will be a loss of the nutrients inherent in most foods.
Baked or boiled is always better then fried I think.

I love breads.
But in the list of ingredients, it has to start with whole grain wheat.
Anything else is a waste of good wallpaper glue. :)

Louisiana has some great cuisine, if you can stay away from most of the fried stuff.

Good topic here!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version