ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How to use transparent png properly even in IE 6 (!)

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
This site is all about a JavaScript-based PNG fix for Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6 on Windows. The fix allows IE to properly render PNG alpha transparency. If you want to get straight to the script, go to the how-to page and follow the instructions there. If you have the time for a description and demo of the problem, then read on...
--- End quote ---

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

from http://www.neowin.net

Hirudin:
I've often wondered why the alpha transparancy isn't used more on web pages (actually, I don't know if I've ever seen it used). Seems like a nice transparrent logo in the bottom right of the screen (like TV networks do) might be pretty cool.

Do variably transparant .PNGs work in Firefox?

allen:
IE is the only browser that has had any trouble with PNG images -- AFAIK Firefox and Opera both support them through and through.

Thanks for posting this -- I'd read it (albeit at a different site) but couldn't be bothered to implement it.  I tend to think IE users deserve what they get :D

nudone:
i can't remember the links (maybe i've saved them somewhere) that went through the various ways of getting png alpha to work with IE based browsers. the overall conclusion was that it wasn't a 100% working method and that the 'trick' would fail without much predictability as to when it would do so. this was a great headache when designing 'cody' as the final version had to be gif but i would have liked it to be png because of the alpha transparency.

maybe the method described above is the definitive working method for png in IE, i don't know. i'd just be very wary of using such methods as you just don't know when one of your visitors is going to break the way it works and then view your website in a way you didn't intend. maybe the risk is so small it's not worth being concerned about?

mouser:
nudone is right - that fix in the page above can fail if you have some active scripting or other settings in ie disabled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version