topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Program "Text Images", and sttmedia.com  (Read 3512 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Program "Text Images", and sttmedia.com
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:22 AM »
Posted in case this might be of interest/use to DCF members.
I was reading a post in A. Kipta's Blog - here. It is about a proggy on the website http://www.sttmedia.com called Text Images

Text Images seems be a rather novel and nifty idea - it automates the putting of text strings onto images, and thus could be a potentially major timesaver for some blog authors. I don't really need the proggie, and I'm not sure how novel it really is, but I hadn't come across anything like this before.
But it is just one of several potentially useful/interesting donationware proggies listed on the sttmedia.com website.
So it might be worth a look for other obsessive-compulsive software triallists out there...    :)

I found one instance of the site being previously mentioned in DCF: Re: IDEA: Script or software that scans lines of text and reports no. of syllables

EDIT 2012-07-16 0213hrs (NZT)
Check out their File List Creator proggy. Looks like it will super-supersede (and enable the retirement of) the highly useful FileGrab freeware proggy that I have (ZiffDavis, 1997 vintage).    :o
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:35 AM by IainB »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program "Text Images", and sttmedia.com
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:54 PM »
-interesting site, Stefan Trost Media.  :up:

I didn't care much for his Text Images, though. In fact I will get (mildly) annoyed at least once a week because I subscribe to a newsletter using such text images. But as you said, "it is just one of several potentially useful/interesting donationware proggies listed on the sttmedia.com website":

2012-07-15_203128.gif

He has done a lot of work to give his portable Easy MP3 Player a powerful search engine with an almost extreme number of RegEx features. But to my sad surprise the only playlist file extension it seems to handle, is .emp. However, I think I might test it all the same; the list of functions is impressive.

There are a couple of other "Easy MP3 Player"s on the market, from other companies,
it really should be easy to pick a better name...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:40 PM »
I wouldn't have much use for Text Images, but some of the others look interesting.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention   :up:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 05:23 PM »
@Curt: Thanks for posting the image of the list of proggies page.
Please see caveats below.

FilelistCreator:
I have been trying this out. Not bad...but, it occasionally hangs whilst "analysing" the files. Not sure what is happening. It might be just my installation(?), I suppose. But it can certainly produce some great filelists, and in different output formats too - e.g., including txt and html. I haven't thrown out FileGrab just yet though...

Clipboard Saver:
Looks like it could potentially be quite good (though probably not up to CHS standard)...but, after you've gone through the settings to make it do what you want, how you want, it won't let you save and reload your settings until you pay a "donation". It is effectively crippled until you pay up. You can't even try this @#$*$ software out properly. Bushwhacked by ultra-annoying crippleware. There's no indication up front that you are letting yourself in for this.
So, I looked at the website and found discreetly hidden away at the bottom of a page a button marked Licence. Click on that and you get pages of stuff, opening with: (my emphasis)
Stefan Trost Media offers the use of two categories of software through licensing. The categories are the free A-Software and the B-Software, for which licence fees must be paid. The following terms are the contractual basis of the use of the software of both categories between the parties in detail. Regarding to the B-Software an additional contract concerning the creation, the licences and the costs of the software has to be concluded. An exception is the B-Software ImageConverter Pro (BildKonverter Pro) and the B-Software TextConverter Pro (TextKonverter Pro). These two programs have no additional contract. With the first use of the software or in the case of A-Software in addition with passing on the software, this contract is concluded and the following contractual terms are accepted by the user.

This looks like it is bait and switch, as Wikipedia puts it - here:
Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud, most commonly used in retail sales but also applicable to other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by advertising for a product or service at a low price; second, the customers discover that the advertised good is not available and are "switched" to a costlier product.

What a pity (sigh). Of course, I immediately lost interest in this site.    :down:
I apologise for wasting anyone's time in being overly eager and making the opening post before exploring further. I'll try not to make that mistuk again.    :(

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:16 PM »
IainB, don't feel too bad, there are still some interesting programs there.  I find the license terms hard to understand; the English language clearly isn't the author's strongest suite, and that isn't helping either.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:29 PM »
TextConverter sounds good - and according to the quote above it's free of the "you must donate for this to work any more" problem

Replacing, deleting, inserting and formating of text or lines in many files at the same time.
Tom