Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 19, 2014, 08:59:40 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is ShoutcastConcierge?  (Read 11815 times)
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 11, 2006, 02:40:09 AM »

Spent some time looking yesterday but I couldn't get a clear idea of what this program does.

allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 06:09:25 AM »

You plug in the URL's for shoutcast audio streams -- it monitors them so you can quickly and easily see what's playing on them all without having to go to each of the different websites. . . A program I'd overlooked until you posted asking.  Now, I'm using it . . . cheesy
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:03 AM »

What is a "shoutcast audio stream"?

allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »

Internet radio, basically -- but instead of frequency/amplitude based stations, you just plug the web address of the "stream" into your audio player and listen that way.  Whatever you use to listen to music, there's a good chance it can play them -- if not, you can always give VU Player a spin.

You can find shoutcast streams for every taste in music here.

The advantage to Shoutcast Concierge is that you can have a list of favorite stations and see what song is currently playing in each of them - so if you don't like what's on one, you'll know what's playing on the rest -- switch to one you like.
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »

Thanks that makes sense.

brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 02:58:59 AM »

You obviously weren't listening to music streams that often, right? Wink

I love it, I virtually stopped listening to mp3 files completely!

Thank you.
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 04:25:14 AM »

I almost never listen to streaming music mainly because there is so little I like, esp. the lack of classical music streams. The ones that do exist are 'popular' classics (which basically means stuff you've heard in TV ads or in film music).

Just a shame there are no serious classical streams (at least that I can find).

I don't listen to music radio much either for the same reasons. BBC Radio 3 used to come close but they have 'dumbed down' in recent years to try and compete with Virgin and ClassicFM's offerings.

I like lots of other kinds of music but I don't like to listen to what's on just for the sake of it.

Shoutcast Concierge comes close to solving some of the problems because I can at least have a pile of streams and look to see if there is anything I fancy listening to without having the stuff I don't want to listen to pootling along in the background. Having said that I am amazed that www.shoutcast.com don't have a 'my favourite streams' feature which would have saved the need for extra software!

brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 04:37:29 AM »

I almost never listen to streaming music mainly because there is so little I like, esp. the lack of classical music streams. The ones that do exist are 'popular' classics (which basically means stuff you've heard in TV ads or in film music).

Just a shame there are no serious classical streams (at least that I can find).
Yeah, you have to search more to find rare stuff... but Shoutcast and Google are able to help smiley

Shoutcast Concierge comes close to solving some of the problems because I can at least have a pile of streams and look to see if there is anything I fancy listening to without having the stuff I don't want to listen to pootling along in the background. Having said that I am amazed that www.shoutcast.com don't have a 'my favourite streams' feature which would have saved the need for extra software!
I'm afraid I can't follow... how could such thing work if Shoutcast (which seems to have problems right now) doesn't even list all the streams you are listening to? I also prefer an "extra software" solution because those tend to be updated more often - and are available without a browser, so you could just have it sitting in a corner of your screen. Features like tray icon alerts are also only possible with an external solution.

Thank you.
allen
Charter Member