ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Back up set of folders to flash drive

<< < (3/4) > >>

4wd:

Compares as soon as it has two folders entered.

Or you can use the Context menu.

By the way, I tried to find the one-file discrepancy between directory trees using TCBOO.  No luck.  After an hour or so TCBOO quit, with warning about something exceeded, and stack overflow issues.-nkormanik (July 19, 2012, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Must be a string size limit, there's not much I can do about that as long as you want the full path in the output unless I go back to using arrays and that will be painfully slow with one million entries to sort through.

Did you check the SyncBack log ?

nkormanik:

I ran SyncBack again.  It reported the two folder trees as identical.  "Success."

Just finished using UltraCompare.  It found the culprit.  A hidden file.  One automatically created by an image viewer, containing a "thumbnail database."  Good grief.

SyncBack settings apparently overlooked hidden files in the mirror process.

4wd:
SyncBack settings apparently overlooked hidden files in the mirror process.-nkormanik (July 19, 2012, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Check the Filters - there are default files/folders that SyncBack doesn't copy because it's ephemeral data, thumbs.db is one of them.

nkormanik:

Simple as that.  Thank you!

db90h:
I'm glad you found a solution. I still prefer Robocopy. More options than you can shake a stick at.

You *can* compress files with it (using the target FS supports it, e.g. NTFS). However, it is individually, by changing attributes at copy time, which it supports. This does hurt the compression ratio since they aren't first TAR'd (to use a nix term) together before compression. Still, it works very well and is so powerful and easy. That's why I personally like and use it. Also, it is an official Microsoft product, and free.

Other solutions can certainly be easier. Even Windows Backup in Vista and above is pretty darn good these days, but I still don't trust it as much as I do a plain old mirror of my files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version