topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Progress Bars re-visited.  (Read 5033 times)

dartgame

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: Progress Bars re-visited.
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Hi,
I'm currently running a partition recovery program which may take days to complete. It has the typical graphical progress bar. It's difficult to see if there is any progression along the bar over several hours. I'm running three iterations of a portable program called "On-screen Ruler" and have placed one ruler below the progress bar, another vertically at the midway point and another vertically at the current progress point. This is at least helping see some progress is taking place.

I was wondering if there is a better way of measuring the progression of the progress bars and found "IDEA: Text-less progress bar calculator". I'm not sure about installing anything like that, at least while I'm doing the partition recovery, so was wondering if anyone knows of an on-screen ruler that has three moveable pieces like I have been able to do with "On-screen Ruler".
I think this would be more practical then my current solution.

If no such 3 piece ruler (2 vertical & 1 horizontal with all rulers moveable) exists, then perhaps someone here would like to produce one.

I know the progress bar is only a rough indication but like I said above, I feel that in cases where the operation may take days, then visual indication of progression along the bar would help.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:06 PM by dartgame »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Progress Bars re-visited.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:36 AM »
PixelWindow might help here. Free, quite simple and useful.

dartgame

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for pointing me to PixelWindow. It's the ideal solution.

Many thanks. :)

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Another free option is "A Ruler For Windows." It has a nice ability to place marks on the ruler (e.g. thirds, halfway, golden ratio, free). It will remember its last size and position, so if you need to repeat measurements, you can set it and forget it.
http://www.arulerforwindows.com/