topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Customize Snap DB?  (Read 4456 times)

garyreif

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Customize Snap DB?
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Is it possible to customize snap DB (hopefully here!) to the extent to removing or disabling  certain commands,(or at least add a yes/no confirmation)  such as:

DEL record
Convert Row data to header names
Find/replace

I think I need a little protection of existing data from some of the users.  An undo command would be nice too.
Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Customize Snap DB?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:27 PM »
With the exception of the undo request, the others are certainly doable.  Did you happen to read my reply to your original post, though?

https://www.donation....msg293486#msg293486

garyreif

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34 AM »
Yes, I saw your reply  to my original post:

1) I've tested it with around 80,000 records but, as the number of records grows, it's slower to load the file.  The largest database that I, personally, use it with has a few thousand records.
***** I will probably use it for less than 10,000 records, so this is good.
2/3) Sure, a single user could store the files on a network share (I do that with mine).  That said, I wouldn't recommend using it simultaneously in a shared environment as Snap DB is not multi-user aware whatsoever
***** We use Excel right now (setup as one tab per part number, which is really not working, as we add a lot of new part numbers), which does lock  the file so a second user gets read only mode. But SnapDB is so much simpler and has better search and data entry I would like to use it if possible.

A quick check did not show any bad results from 2 users accessing at the same time. If they both were on the same record, the last one 2 save or change seems to be the one that had the data recorded his way. It is unlikely my users would be on the same record.

Any suspected problems I need to test for in using with multiple users on a network?
Any chance of using some simple form of file locking (of the database file on the server) which starts for the first user to open the file?

Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:22 AM »
***** I will probably use it for less than 10,000 records, so this is good.

You should be fine with this number of records.

A quick check did not show any bad results from 2 users accessing at the same time. If they both were on the same record, the last one 2 save or change seems to be the one that had the data recorded his way.  It is unlikely my users would be on the same record.

Keep in mind that Snap DB doesn't have any concept of saving individual records, i.e., it's a single flat file.  That single SNP file gets written, in full, each time you save it.  You have to think of this like two people having the same text file open.  Both can open the file and make independent changes but the last person to save will overwrite any and all changes made previously by either person.  Does that make sense?

Any suspected problems I need to test for in using with multiple users on a network?

Yes, what I just described above.

Any chance of using some simple form of file locking (of the database file on the server) which starts for the first user to open the file?

No, since I feel that's out of design scope for this app.  I didn't design it, at all, with the idea of supporting multiple users.

If I seem unreceptive to the idea of your multiple-user scenario, I apologise.  I'm just trying to let you know that you're going to run into trouble if you allow multiple users to modify an SNP file at the same time.  If you simply plan to allow multiple users to use the database for lookups, that is, no modifications, you should be okay.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:54 AM »
If I can throw in a suggestion: Have a look at Data Crow, that's for keeping 'collections' with a lot of bells and whistles, but would be a fine candidate here, imho.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Data Crow is a really well done application.  I use it as well.   :Thmbsup:

garyreif

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Thanks, I will take a closer look at Datacrow. My hope was originally of finding a modern version of old PC-File which was just complex enough to do most things. Upon more thinking another option is to go with one Word doc per part number, and all the PN docs in one folder.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Upon more thinking another option is to go with one Word doc per part number, and all the PN docs in one folder.
Then Data Crow or any other database management tool (even MS Access :-\) is definitely a better solution!