topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Snap DB shared on a network?  (Read 2221 times)

garyreif

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Snap DB shared on a network?
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I am thinking about using Snap Db for a serial/ part number database.  It will be used intermittently by 4 users, from a shared folder on a SBS 2008 server.
Questions:
1) Is there a limit of how many records can be stored?
2) Does it get along with being shared on a network? Any issues to look out for?
3) Will it work as multi-user (simultaneous) or only be one user at a time?
Any help or comments are appreciated!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Snap DB shared on a network?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:11 PM »
I am thinking about using Snap Db for a serial/ part number database.  It will be used intermittently by 4 users, from a shared folder on a SBS 2008 server.
Questions:
1) Is there a limit of how many records can be stored?
2) Does it get along with being shared on a network? Any issues to look out for?
3) Will it work as multi-user (simultaneous) or only be one user at a time?

Hi, garyreif, and welcome to the site.  As to your questions:

1) I've tested it with around 80,000 records but, as the number of records grows, it's slower to load the file.  The largest database that I, personally, use it with has a few thousand records.
2/3) Sure, a single user could store the files on a network share (I do that with mine).  That said, I wouldn't recommend using it simultaneously in a shared environment as Snap DB is not multi-user aware whatsoever.

Keep in mind that Snap DB is not an actual relational database.  Rather, it's a simple flat-file system designed for relatively light use.  If you plan on using it in a commercial setting, you may want to explore some more robust options out there.  However, if you can make Snap DB work for your environment, that's great.   :D