ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet freedoms restrained - SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/CETA/PrECISE-related updates

<< < (25/79) > >>

Renegade:
CETA appears still to be kicking.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/ceta-replicates-acta

Canada-EU Trade Agreement Replicates ACTA’s Notorious Copyright Provisions

-TaoPhoenix (October 15, 2012, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Big surprise... Stephen Harper hard at work making Canadians ashamed to be Canadian... He's an embarrassment.

Canada is free and freedom is its nationality.-Wilfrid Laurier - 7th Prime Minister of Canada
--- End quote ---

Nothing will prevent me from continuing my task of preserving at all costs our civil liberty.-Wilfrid Laurier - 7th Prime Minister of Canada
--- End quote ---

As long as there is a drop of blood in my body they won't stop me from talking about freedom.-John Diefenbaker - 13th Prime Minister of Canada
--- End quote ---

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong.-John Diefenbaker - 13th Prime Minister of Canada
--- End quote ---

Mr. Harper would do well to follow in the footsteps of some of his distinguished predecessors instead of some of his fascist contemporaries.

IainB:
I could be wrong, of course, but I thought Canada had long ago given away a lot of its civil liberties/freedoms, especially freedom of speech.

Renegade:
I could be wrong, of course, but I thought Canada had long ago given away a lot of its civil liberties/freedoms, especially freedom of speech.
-IainB (October 16, 2012, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty close. Policy in Ottawa is mostly imported from Washington D.C. So, it usually takes a little bit longer for Canadians to have their freedom stripped than it does for the Americans, though that's not always true. Our Prime Minister is currently selling off large chunks of Canada to China. Not sure whether we'll be Chanada or Chinada in the near future. But, y'know... All the typical stuff that treason is made of, that's our PM.

IainB:
I'm not sure if this PayPal contract to force you to agree to foregoing your rights to all legal remedies is a restriction of Internet freedoms per se, but it sure looks like it to me.
I thought this kind of thing was made illegal in the UK, Australia and NZ, but it is presumably legal in the US(?).
PayPal Wants to Limit Your Legal Rights Against Them, Here’s a Way Around That
This is another cunning pincer move. There's a lesson for the wary here, but you have to write your formal letter to opt-out before December 1st, 2012. After that, it's no longer an option.
I think this stinks.

Tinman57:
-IainB (October 16, 2012, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty close. Policy in Ottawa is mostly imported from Washington D.C. So, it usually takes a little bit longer for Canadians to have their freedom stripped than it does for the Americans, though that's not always true. Our Prime Minister is currently selling off large chunks of Canada to China. Not sure whether we'll be Chanada or Chinada in the near future. But, y'know... All the typical stuff that treason is made of, that's our PM. -Renegade (October 16, 2012, 02:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Welcome to the China Syndrome.  The U.S. sold out to China years ago.  We were sold out by greedy politicians.  And all this time I thought Canada was better than that.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version